Evernote won't display main window after login

Hi,

My Mac Pro recently crashed (while Evernote was open but problem was not caused by Evernote), so I had to do a hard reset. After rebooting, Evernote now will not load properly. I can log in successfully, and the login window disappears, but after that the main Evernote window will not open. I get the Evernote menu bar but most things are greyed out.

I was using the Mac App Store version so I tried deleting it fully and then installing the Evernote.com version (Dec. 12, 2012) but it behaves the same way. I also tried changing my password but nothing changes.

Help!! I love this app and I'm kind of lost without it!

I have the same problem, once you login into the app, it goes back into the dock without logging you in. Once you click on the icon, it asks you to login again only to do the same thing. This is becomes a big problem, since I reply on this app, and I'm unable to use it.

• 3 weeks later...

No need to get sarcastic..but your message reminded me to update this thread. :)

I contacted Evernote support and after trying a couple of different things eventually they fixed the problem for me. Here is their email and following these steps fixed the problem for me.

--------------

Please try moving your Evernote database directory so that Evernote will regenerate a new local database by copying your notes back down from the service. To do this:

Your database is in a hidden directory. You can access it by opening the Finder, then selecting "Go" from the top menu and hitting the "Option" key. Once you have done that, you'll see the "Library" folder pop up.

Select it.

Then, go to:

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/ and move the "your username" directory to another place.

Once you've done that, please *also* go to:

~Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/ and move the "your username" directory to another place. If prompted to "keep a copy/merge", select "keep a copy".

Note: You may not have a directory in both places. Please remove whichever ones you *do* have, and make sure that you no longer have either before moving forward.

Then, try opening Evernote again. All of your notes from the service will now synchronize and create a new local database.

------------

Good luck.

• 10 months later...

Thank you PeterS. Was struggling with this for 2 months. The process you mentioned of isolating the folders, worked like a charm. The Evernote team responded to my concern, but coudn't figure it out. Wish I had seen this a month ago.

• 10 months later...

PeterS nailed it.  :)  PROBLEM SOLVED  I've had open help ticket w Evernote for months.  Now on Mac OSX.10 Yosemite and I had followed other instructions on reinstalling app...all to no avail. 

As PereS mentions, I had only one folder to move...restart Evernote and its rebuilding!

Now if Evernote would just work on it's (ever worstening) interfaces across devices.  Cheers!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem! And I try PeterS' suggestion. But doesn't work for me since I can't find the folder "account/yourusername". However, his solution gives me an idea: the main point is to remove the data and let evernote to rebuild a new local database. Because I cannot find the folder, why not I just remove "all" the Evernote database in my laptop and install again?

So that's what I did: download the app of "AppCleaner," (https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/) (actually any cleaning app for mac should be fine) >> execute removing Evernote (drag the evernote app icon from "finder>application" to "window of AppCleaner") >> it will pop out all the related files and folders of Evernote >> check all of them >> remove!

And then download/install Evernote again, log in, DONE!

Reminder: Before doing what I said, make sure that all your data are safe online (You can see the data after log in Evernote on the browser).

Archived