another JPG vs PDF

I've got a lot of documents with art that I want to upload to Evernote. The documents are a form that shows a product design, along with product info (i.e. product name, SKU, UPC #, etc).

I've already uploaded some test documents in both JPG and PDF (*already* run through OCR) to Evernote, and the search function works beautifully. There's one "hitch" though. Using Evernote's web interface, if I do a search, and one of the results is a JPG, clicking on the note shows the JPG on the Note details panel. Great! However, if the result is a PDF, clicking on the note shows the paperclip attachment link to the PDF, and I have to go through one extra step of clicking on it to see the actual PDF. This could really slow me down if there are a lot of search results.

So why don't I simply stick with JPG? Future flexibility. If for whatever reason, I one day decide to use another way of organizing these files, it seems that a OCR'd PDF would give me a lot more flexibility. After all, I could even stick all the PDFs in a folder and use my built-in OS search tool.

Is there some way of getting the best of both worlds?

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I suppose there are a lot of options.

JPG > PDF > OCR > Extract text > Paste text and JPG into a note.

JPG + PDF

JPG > PDF > OCR > Extract text > Paste text + link to JPG in another location (local or web service).

Thanks GrumpyMonkey. It seems like I should stick with JPG as the starting point. It didn't occur to me that it's a cinch to "convert" a JPG to a PDF.

I guess I should research some workflow tools to extract text from PDFs.

• Level 5*

Thanks GrumpyMonkey. It seems like I should stick with JPG as the starting point. It didn't occur to me that it's a cinch to "convert" a JPG to a PDF.

I guess I should research some workflow tools to extract text from PDFs.

Hi. Glad I could help. Automator does a nice job extracting text using Get Specified Finder Items > Extract PDF Text.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived