(Archived) ScanSnap S1300i vs S1500M

ashg657

Idea

Hi All.

Complete newbie here. Having recently bought my own property I have experienced a sharp uprising of the number of documents I am receiving to a point where it has become uncontrollable and incredibly time consuming to find documents stored away. So, I've been looking at Evernote, but am unsure as to which scanner would be best suited for my needs.

Initially I would have hundreds of pages to scan, but once they're done, only a gradual income of new documents, perhaps 50 pages per month if that. For this reason I'm leaning towards the S1300i. It's more in my price range as well.

Finally, I am a Mac user with latest Mountain Lion. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has the same setup and your thoughts on whether or not the S1300i would be a good choice or if you would recommend the more expensive option?

Thanks.

Ash.

3 replies to this idea

Hi Ash,

I've had the S1300i for a couple of weeks. It's hooked up to either a Macbook Air or a Mac Mini, both running Mountain Lion. The performance is really terrific - very fast and accurate. I can't speak to how it would handle "hundreds of pages" because I haven't tried scanning more than a half-dozen pages at a time, but that has worked well.

In addition to being a good partner for Evernote, the ScanSnap software is pretty slick. Yesterday I scanned about 10 pages of Excel printouts I had been given, and it converted them to accurate and editable Excel files without a hitch. I find myself looking for excuses to use it.

If it were me and, once the hundreds of pages are done, I thought my scan needs would be modest I would definitely opt for the 1300...I can stick it in a drawer when I am not using it.

I hope that is helpful.

Chris

P.S. If you are interested in going the paperless route, I highly recommend David Spark's ebook "Paperless." It has excellent coverage of scanning, Evernote, Dropbox, and how to make them all work together.

Chris,

Thanks for your input, it has helped. I think it's inevitable that I will go for the 1300. Really can't justify the extra amount once I have got through the bulk of documents which can be done gradually over time.

I've been playing around with Evernote on Windows laptop today, will try the Mac over the weekend but first impressions are very good. I like the idea of being able to stick the scanner in a drawer when not using it too.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out. Interestingly, I was using Dropbox and had the intention of replacing this with Evernote & iCloud...

Ash.

Archived