(Archived) lost critical note in sync issue

On Friday, 17Aug12 i edited a rather large note that has been an ongoing project. I finished editing this around noon time and can see in the activity log that the system did a sync of my work. I also have it set to sync every 15 min by default.

I came home tonight and brought up my laptop and all the note edits are gone. I looked at note history to download the one from earlier today and it shows a sync today at 1330 as the latest and that one does NOT have my edits from earlier in the day. So basically the history fall back does not have the version of my note that the activity log shows did a successful sync.

Any ideas on how I can get my edits back from earlier?

• Level 5*

On Friday, 17Aug12 i edited a rather large note that has been an ongoing project. I finished editing this around noon time and can see in the activity log that the system did a sync of my work. I also have it set to sync every 15 min by default.

I came home tonight and brought up my laptop and all the note edits are gone. I looked at note history to download the one from earlier today and it shows a sync today at 1330 as the latest and that one does NOT have my edits from earlier in the day. So basically the history fall back does not have the version of my note that the activity log shows did a successful sync.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I'd definitely contact customer support about this (see the link in my signature). Please post your support ticket number here and keep us updated if you do.

It sounds to me like you overwrote your note (otherwise, you would have the earlier version). If you have a backup like Time Machine, then you may be able to retrieve the earlier version. Otherwise, I am not sure if it is possible. Again, it would be good to contact Evernote about this.

What seems odd to me is that you were working earlier in the day at computer 1 (around noon), and looked at the note later in the day on computer 2 (sometime at night), but sometime in-between (1:30) someone synced the note with a version that did not contain the data you entered earlier. Did someone else have access to your computer/account? What were you doing at 1:30? If you were working on computer 1 on that note at 1:30, it doesn't seem possible that the changes are missing, so maybe you could fill in more details for us.

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I'd definitely contact customer support about this (see the link in my signature). Please post your support ticket number here and keep us updated if you do.

It sounds to me like you overwrote your note (otherwise, you would have the earlier version). If you have a backup like Time Machine, then you may be able to retrieve the earlier version. Otherwise, I am not sure if it is possible. Again, it would be good to contact Evernote about this.

What seems odd to me is that you were working earlier in the day at computer 1 (around noon), and looked at the note later in the day on computer 2 (sometime at night), but sometime in-between (1:30) someone synced the note with a version that did not contain the data you entered earlier. Did someone else have access to your computer/account? What were you doing at 1:30? If you were working on computer 1 on that note at 1:30, it doesn't seem possible that the changes are missing, so maybe you could fill in more details for us.

thanks for the reply. I will contact tech support for sure.

I suppose my phone could have made a sync, but my laptop was sitting on and not in use at about the 1330 sync that is available in the history and does NOT contain the edits from the morning. Strange thing is that I see the sync with the edits was made in the activity log earlier in the day while I was making the edits. So am I correct in assuming that there should therefore be a new history note available to download from when the earlier sync was done?

Here are the details of the ticket I submitted...

on 17 aug mid morning i was editing a document titled "Book...trading the American dream for kingdom reality // Kingdom come..." Activity log is attached and specific note is highlighted and BOLD for easy reference.

I made extensive changes from my laptop PC win7. sync was set to update every 30min. I have attached the activity log from that time and it show that it was being update.

I stopped all work on that note around 1400, but i noticed that around later afternoon that the note was open on my android phone, but was not indicating needing sync with the little circle arrow and I did NO work on it, but just hit "done". This was around 1600-1700 time range.

The next time i opened the note to look at it was when i woke up my laptop late that evening and the note edits were GONE. I went to the note history to retrive it and had changes from 16 aug and one from 1327 on the 17th which was AFTER my edits but that version had NONE of my edit in it.

I submitted blog help request from community, went to bed and got up at 0450 18 Aug and on my laptop and droid that specific note was GONE all together. no sign of it whatsoever.

I powered up my other PC that had NOT synced since the late evening of the 17 Aug and it was still there, but still did not show the edits from earlier, but at least the main body was still there. I copied the body and pasted to a seperate off line doc, but even in that version, the hisotry of the doc is gone, online web version of EV Note shows the doc gone. WHERE DID IT GO??

not only do i very much need the edits back from the moring of 17Aug, i need to know what it randomly made my note totally disapear. please help!

Archived