(Archived) Gibberish Problems - Encoding (日本語 and 中文)

• Level 5*

PROBLEM: Dragging a web page written in Chinese or Japanese from my local files into Evernote results in gibberish (文字化け). This happens on both the OSX and Windows clients.

I can clip a web page in Chinese or Japanese and send it to Evernote.

I can copy the content of a web page in Chinese or Japanese and paste it into a note.

But, I cannot drag an html file into Evernote. It becomes gibberish. I also cannot create a note and drag the html files into it. They also end up as gibberish. Obviously, this is an encoding problem, but where is it coming from, and why? Does anyone know how to change the settings in Evernote so that it doesn't gibber-ify the files?

• Level 5*

Any HTML experts out there? Riddle me this:

If I open an HTML file without declared encoding, my text editor (Text Wrangler) is set to guess the encoding as Japanese Shift_JIS. If I then select UTF-8 as the encoding and save it, it imports into Evernote perfectly fine. Why is it that my Text Editor has no problem converting the HTML file from Shift_JIS to UTF-8, but Evernote does?

I have opened a support ticket, and so far the answers have not led to solutions. At this point, I am contemplating going through hundreds of files and changing the encoding before importing. This might be marginally faster than copying and pasting everything into notes. Any ideas on a more efficient strategy to work around this?

• Level 5*

Thanks Heather. Unfortunately, the link is dead, and searching the download site mentioned, I couldn't find anything. I think I can see what I need to do, though, and I will try to find some kind of program that will convert the character sets of multiple files at once. I'll update this if/when I find it.

Archived