(Archived) Evernote-Diigo integration? (Or something similar?)

I'm guessing I'll get crickets on this one, but in case anyone can help, I'm asking:

One of the main ways I use Evernote is to save almost everything I read or watch online. I've gotten into the habit of clipping literally every page I spend more than about ten seconds on and think will register somewhere in my memory, since I think if it may come to mind in the future, I want it at my fingertips in Evernote. (Since upgrading to premium, I see, I've averaged 27 web clips a day.) I'm also in the habit of highlighting almost anything I read of any value. I used Diigo for this before I started using Evernote, and I've kept using Diigo because I can't highlight within Evernote.

One of the side-benefits of my system is that, now that I use Evernote, not my browser, to (effectively) bookmark pages, the Diigo ribbon serves as my visual notification, within Chrome, that I have saved the page in Evernote. I assume that if I land on a page and see the Diigo ribbon (the red thing in the image below, which is not present when the page isn't highlighted, annotated, or bookmarked in Diigo), I've clipped to Evernote, and I have no need to do so again.

post-81902-0-66246100-1323554863_thumb.j

This system, however, creates two multi-step process where maybe I could have one-step processes:

1. If I highlight while I'm reading, I then have to clip to Evernote when I'm done.
  2. If I don't highlight anything on a page, before or after clipping to Evernote I need to bookmark the page in Diigo to get the flag to appear.

So, my questions:

• Does anyone know of any way I can integrate Diigo and Evernote to cut a step out of my processes?
  • Does anyone, seeing my use case, have any suggestions for things they would do differently, whether involving Diigo or another service (but preserving the functionality I get out of Diigo in these processes)?

As I said, I don't think it's very likely I'll get help on this, since, when I've mentioned Diigo in the past, no one else has said they use it, and even someone who does use it as much as I do might be similarly ignorant about how to improve my system. But if anyone does have any wisdom/insight to share on this, it'll be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a heavy Diigo user, new to Evernote because I got an android tablet.

Loving Evernote but don't understand your dual system (ribbon) quite yet.

As I get more familiar with things I'll post here, as I annotate a lot.

Right now I'm trying to import my Diigo bookmarks (with tags I hope!) to Evernote to see what happens.

I read in some places that too many bookmarks blows up EN, we'll see.

Thanks. I just skimmed, signed up to IFTT, but it looks like a service to do individual actions like when I bookmark in Diigo it also sends to EN.

That's nice (if I understood correctly) but I need to IMPORT all of my 1000s of diigo bookmarks into EN.

M

• 2 weeks later...

Loving Evernote but don't understand your dual system (ribbon) quite yet.

Sorry for not being clear enough. Since you use Diigo, I'm sure you've seen the two ways the Diigo extension looks, either all blue or with the red ribbon (as shown in the little image I attached in my last post) when a page is bookmarked or has highlights. I was saying I try to use the presence of the ribbon in the extension button as my sign that I've clipped the page to Evernote, since the Evernote elephant button doesn't visually show whether a page is clipped or not. Does that make sense?

Have you seen this recipe for bookmark on Diigo to Evernote?

http://ifttt.com/recipes/13892

ifttt is a trunk partner that allows you to connect different services like Evernote and Diigo, you can get more details about the integration here.

http://blog.evernote.com/2011/12/30/trunk-spotlight-ifttt-to-connect-evernote-with-other-services-you-use/

Thanks, Ron. I already use ifttt a lot (mostly to send all my feeds to Evernote, which I now use as my feed reader), but I hadn't seen the Diigo-->Evernote recipe. I might find a way to use it, but unfortunately it looks like Diigo's trigger details don't allow for what I was looking for, since the important thing for me is having my highlights in Evernote, and it seems the trigger can't send that information. Thanks anyway for the tip. I'll keep checking the ifttt Diigo page to see whether they add more information to the trigger in the future.

EDIT: Emagin, sorry, but I don't know how to export from Diigo. Evernote allows up to 100 tags on a note, so unless you go over that I can't imagine why importing notes with a lot of tags would be a problem.

• 1 year later...

peterfmartin, I completely understand your situation. I like Evernote and would like to use it for all of my bookmarking, but I also love highlighting and annotating while I read online.

Evernote's Clearly now allows for highlighting, which is a great feature, but what about annotation? That's where Diigo comes in.

I wish that Evernote would allow for annotation, but I'm pretty sure it won't go in that direction.

I'm going to look into the IFTTT recipe, too. Otherwise, it looks like I'll have to decide between the two. What's interesting is that Diigo has many more social features (like lists, groups) that are easier than Evernote (and cheaper, I think).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Have you seen this recipe for bookmark on Diigo to Evernote?

http://ifttt.com/recipes/13892

ifttt is a trunk partner that allows you to connect different services like Evernote and Diigo, you can get more details about the integration here.

http://blog.evernote.com/2011/12/30/trunk-spotlight-ifttt-to-connect-evernote-with-other-services-you-use/

found another ifft recipe that claims to carry highlights. testing to see what actually happens

Archived