(Archived) Search for notes with PDFs?

vmills

Idea

My original question was how Evernote saves files: pdf, images, etc that are included in a note. It's my understanding that the file is saved locally, so if I drag an image or a pdf from the desktop to a note (for example), I can delete the file from the desktop and it will be saved in the Evernote library (locally and in the cloud). I'm increasingly using EN for storage but I want to know that it's safe to delete the original versions of files.

Assuming this is right (please tell me if not), my next question is whether there's a way to search notes by file type. I'm used to thinking of notes/messages with "attachments" but I don't see that EN is set up that way. Nor do I see any way to return a list of notes that include pdfs. Is it true that Evernote doesn't record file type?

1 reply to this idea

My original question was how Evernote saves files: pdf, images, etc that are included in a note. It's my understanding that the file is saved locally, so if I drag an image or a pdf from the desktop to a note (for example), I can delete the file from the desktop and it will be saved in the Evernote library (locally and in the cloud). I'm increasingly using EN for storage but I want to know that it's safe to delete the original versions of files.

EN does indeed store the document in the EN database. As to whether it's safe or not to delete the copy from your hard drive, that's a personal choice. In theory, it should be safe to do so. OTOH, I prefer to not rely 100% on a single solution. So I do keep copies of important docs on my hard drives as well. This is not intended as a negative reflection upon Evernote or any app but rather the technology itself. That whole all your eggs in one basket thing.

As far as searching for PDFs, in the Windows client, you can select "PDF document" under the "contains" section of "attributes" in the left pane. I don't know if this is available in the Mac client.

Archived