(Archived) Still confused about saving things from the internet.

tutti

I'm pretty confused about what happens when I save things from the internet. I normally use Evernote from my desktop computer. I use Chrome and have both the clip to evernote button in the toolbar, and when I right click a picture, or a selection of text, I am able to clip to evernote from there too. Sometimes I right click and clip just an image (a cool pic or something), sometimes I clip an entire webpage (html/css design inspiration), and sometimes I clip just an article I like.

When I do this... in evernote do I just have a reference to the original files. If the person takes down or changse their image, webpage, or even text, does what I have inside of evernote change?

I am concerned with saving things. I went through all of my old google reader bookmarks and imported them into evernote... a lot of them changed or were missing, and I really want to avoid that in the future.

Thanks!!

I am concerned with saving things. I went through all of my old google reader bookmarks and imported them into evernote... a lot of them changed or were missing, and I really want to avoid that in the future.

Bookmarks are just that. Bookmarks to a web page. So yes, if the web page changes or is removed, when you revisit, you get the current page (or missing page.)

When you clip to Evernote, using the clippers, the actual data is saved to Evernote. If the live page changes in the future, in your Evernote, you will see the original data you saved. (Unless all you clipped was the URL.)

in general you are clipping content from the web. If the page/clip contains a static image, then so will your note. This is one of the big advantages of Evernote. Your note contains a snapshot of the content at the time clipped. The page information might change or go away completely. Your note will still have what you clipped.

If the page contains a dynamic image then you might have:

- Nothing. e.g. A lot of flash sites can not be clipped at all. In that case you are usually warned by only being given the "Clip URL" option. Screenshots are the only work around I know of to this problem.

- A link. e.g. YouTube embedded player.

- The current image. e.g. some slide show viewers can have their current image clipped.

Archived