(Archived) copy text file contents to note or add as attachment

ed_in_nj

Idea

Good Day:

I have a question about importing simple text files....I have many text files that I want to import into evernote, when dragging these notes on to a local notebook I generally get the desired result: a new note titled with the text file's name and with the note's contents equal to the text contained in the file. However, sometimes I get a slightly different result, that is: a new note is created titled with the original text file's name, but the note body now contains the original text file as an attachment instead of simply having the text from the file.

I haven't been able to see any "trend" which causes this to happen (i.e. the size of the text file, etc).

Is there any "rule" to determine when a text file is copied into the body of the note as opposed to being added as an attachment?

Thanks for any replies.

-Ed

PS: using evernote Version 2.2.3 (158341) on MAC OS X 10.7 (Lion)

2 replies to this idea

I think I have found the answer to my own question. If the text file in question has some non standard characters, such as below:

There is a "special character" in this

text file, see below:

ís

If this character is removed, the file will be imported into the body of the note.

Then the text file will be added as an attachment.

However if the one offending character is removed, like below:

There is a "special character" in this

text file, see below:

s

If this character is removed, the file will be imported into the body of the note.

Then the file will be imported as plain text in the body of the note.

It is interesting that if I copy and paste the red text above the "special" character (í) is properly displayed within the note.

I have an archive of a large amount of text files that I'd like to get into evernote but about 10% of them apparently have some type of special characters causing the original text file to be imported as an attachment. I will submit a "bug report" on this and post back here any resolution.

-Ed

Archived