(Archived) Strange behaviour of local notebook

Hi folks

I've come across some funny behaviour which I think is some sort of bug:

I had a few notes that I wanted no longer to be in the cloud. (It was 17 bank account statements). So I moved them from one of my synced notebooks to my local unsynced notebook. I did this using my Mac version (Version 2.2.0 (152876))

A little later I logged into my Evernote account / web interface and saw that one of my synced notebooks had more notes than the Mac version would show. Puzzled I tried to find out why there was no proper sync, and found that the 17 notes I had shifted to my local notebook on my Mac remained in the cloud.

No big deal, so I deleted them using the web interface, it was only 17 of them of the same kind, so not hard to find and delete. The notes where moved to the trash.

When I synced next my Mac Evernote, I saw how these notes where moved out of my local notebook to the trash here as well!!!

So 2 issues:

1. One would think that a Sync would not touch any notes that are stored in a local notebook.

2. How do I move notes from a synced notebook to a local notebook so that they would also be removed in the cloud?

Thanks everybody!

Wolf

Yes I did, but they wouldn't go in the cloud. When I saw that the number of notes was different I synced numerous times but nothing happened. Like I said, I later found out that the notes I shifted to my local notebook on my Mac just remained in the synced notebook in the cloud.

Wolf

Yes I did, but they wouldn't go in the cloud.

I don't know what you mean by this. After moving the notes to a local notebook on your Mac, sync'ing should remove the notes from the EN servers. If your Mac sync failed, then the changes didn't get sync'd up to the EN cloud.

Then, when you moved the notes to the trash via the web client, of course, the next time you sync the Mac, it's going to try to do that, too. And now, you have unsync'd changes made to the same note(s) from different computers. The only thing I can suggest is to look for a "conflicting notes" notebook, which is where EN puts notes it doesn't know how to deal with b/c changes were made from multiple clients/computers/devices without being "in sync."

Yes I did, but they wouldn't go in the cloud.

I don't know what you mean by this.

What I meant was these notes did not disappear on the EN server.

After moving the notes to a local notebook on your Mac, sync'ing should remove the notes from the EN servers.

That's exactly the issue, they did not get removed from the EN server!!!

Trust me, I synced a number of times, and I changed other things to see whether syncing works at all.

Then, when you moved the notes to the trash via the web client, of course, the next time you sync the Mac, it's going to try to do that, too.

Syncing should never touch my local notebooks!!! That was issue No 2 !!!

I know it's complicated, maybe it's clearer now what I meant in the first place.

Plus I don't understand why there should be a Conflicting Notes notebook. There is no conflicts within notes. Conflicts were not the issue.

Thanks anyway.

Wolf

Archived