(Archived) Suggestions for "EN3" - Part I - From a Long Time EN User

A button for toggling between custom, collapsed, and expanded view of the "Viewable Amount of each Note" settings. A shortcut toggle key or combination?

WEB VERSION: A way to organize the web notes by date?

A way to password protect whole NOTEBOOKs and individual NOTEs (or encrypt text data ?) like in 2.2 (obvious one, I know)

A way to specify a back up folder for Notebooks (especially notebooks that are syncing to the web service)

A way to check a box, or click a radial button, when creating a "new tag" that, when checked, automatically assumes that the "NAME" of the tag is a key word search for "NAME".

Scan, Import from TWAIN or WIA ?

Send Ever note SMS text messages or multi-media messages with pics, etc. (going beyond just email as a mobile delivery vehicle)

Line Spacing Options in text editor. single space, 1.5, double, etc...

Add Text Boxes? Annotations? (If you remember how they did it in MDI or Microsoft Document Imaging... It came with office as an external tool, great program, I thought that it was very cool)

More Colors or a full color palette in text editor

Color Code Notes or Tags?

Can you have a Note that crosses over Notebook boundary lines and exists in two notebooks, or do you have to create a copy of the note and paste it in both.

Spell Check... Even if it piggy backs off of Word or something.

Thanks for Evernote! I use it daily for everything I need to remember. I love it, need it, and use it! Thanks again. EN 2.2 is still awesome too... but I see a big vision with what EN 3 will be, I hope these comments (some obvious and probably fairly unoriginal by now) are any help.

Regards,

Steve

Steve, thanks for the detailed feedback. A couple of random thoughts as I read this list:

Web organize by date: you can sort by date (e.g. in the list view) ... is this what you mean?

SMS - we're looking into the details around this. Basically, we need to pay for a "short code" (in the US, a 6-digit number) that people can SMS to. Then we pay a penny or two for each incoming SMS (for the privilege of receiving 160 bytes of data from the telecommunications industry). We'd like to get this set up, but first need to look around at the options to keep the economics sane.

Notes in two notebooks: the primary difference between a "notebook" and a "tag" is that a note can only be in a single notebook, while a note can have multiple tags on it. So placing a note in two notebooks would be a "copy" operation.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Denberg,

Thanks for the responses! I found many of the features that I requested in my post just by playing around with it more.

It is very cool! The feature's that I still propose after getting to know the new version are as follows:

I would still like to see a feature that allowed you to encrypt an entire Notebook, or just "password protect"

--- now obviously that is not as easily done in this version because searches can cross the boundaries of multiple Notebooks now, but the answer to that would be: if a search is performed and notes that are in a password protected notebook are queried, then a prompt asking yes or no would pop up: "would you like to display password protected notes from the following notebooks: My Data, My Passwords, My Account numbers, etc... "yes" "no" If "yes" then all of the notes with password protection will pop up, revealing only the title, which should not include confidential information, and you click a button or a link in the text that says "display this note" and a password is prompted form there.

I would also still like to see a short cut or a quick toggle for the different view settings. I.e. Expanded, Custom, Collapsed

An SMS entry method would be awesome! But the email is pretty much sufficient, so that rocks that you have implemented that feature. Remembering my address is not always the easiest task, but that's we have evernote right :)

I was trying to figure something out maybe you could explain to me. In the "Account" Menu, in the properties options dialog, there is a tab there for "File Auto-Import" ? I was playing around with this and never was able to understand the functionality or purpose of that tab of options. Is this feature not connected up yet?

I was also thinking it would be good to be able to move data, or sync data from system to system, that you did not want to sync to the WWW server. Confidential information and such. So, in other words, Notebooks that you are not willing to do the Universal Sync with should have a way to go from computer to computer? Or is that something that you would recommend using EN Portable for?

Thanks for your time in listening and feedback!

Best Regards,

Steve W

Thanks again for the detailed feedback.

I was trying to figure something out maybe you could explain to me. In the "Account" Menu, in the properties options dialog, there is a tab there for "File Auto-Import" ? I was playing around with this and never was able to understand the functionality or purpose of that tab of options. Is this feature not connected up yet?

It's implemented now, but we've had reports of problems. If you point it to a folder, and then drop images into that folder, they will be automatically added into Evernote.

• 4 weeks later...
If you point it to a folder, and then drop images into that folder, they will be automatically added into Evernote.

That's was just an example, right? If I drop text files in that folder they'll become notes?

Archived