Hello! I have been experiencing some weird behavior with Evernote on my Windows 11 rig. 

Basically, after some stuttering, windows would completely freeze, and it'll become unresponsive until I do a hard reset with the power button. The most probable cause I have noticed so far is that this happens noticeably more often when I'm working with Evernote Desktop. I cannot 100% assure that Evernote is at fault because I have not documented all the freezes without fail, but it does happen more often when Evernote is open and, possibly, only when Evernote is open. 

So I wanted to know if this is a known issue, or if somebody else is experiencing something similar. 

Running Windows 11, 32 GB DDR4 RAM 3600 MHz, Ryzen 7 5600, NVIDIA GTX 3060, Gigabyte B550 Gaming,  WD-Black 1TB M2.

Tried clean OS reinstall, tested RAM separately, tested changing the SSD, tested CPU and GPU, also tried different versions of drivers. So now I'm on to looking for culprits on the software side. And my main suspects are Evernote and Spotify. But I'm more inclined to blame Evernote because of its sandbox nature. 

• Level 5*
On 10/7/2024 at 7:15 AM, AstraVishnu said:

I'm more inclined to blame Evernote because of its sandbox nature. 

Are you using the WIndows store version?  Try the Evernote.com download which is not sandboxed.

I've experienced this exact problem.   I've updated both Evernote and Windows 11.   It is not the Windows Store version, but direct from Evernote.   My computer is fine, no other problems.  But when I run Evernote, it works for a short time, then grinds everything to a halt.   Windows freezes and the only way to fix it is to reboot or restart.   It's definitely Evernote.   The problem only happens when I run Evernote, and never happens if I don't.   It's a pretty recent issue, as I've used Evernote for Windows for many years without problems. 

• Level 5*

I just deleted your other post on this topic - please don't run parallel discussions...  I pasted the content here in case there was new information

I've just confirmed that Evernote is causing my Windows 11 PC to freeze up, requiring a hard reboot or shutdown.   This started happening a couple of days ago, while I was using various combinations of applications.   I've finally narrowed the problem down to Evernote.   When Evernote is running, the problem happens.   When it's not running, the problem never happens.   I notice that Evernote is taking using approximately 20% of the CPU, which is insane for this computer (Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB RAM).   Sometimes I'll notice a severe slowdown just before it completely freezes.   Once it freezes, nothing works...not even CTRL-ALT-DEL.   I have to physically hold the power button to shut down and then restart.   It's strange because I've used Evernote for Windows for many years without any issues.   This is the first time I've had a problem.  It's serious to me, however, as I use Evernote daily for almost everything you can think of.   For now, I can't run it on my PC without crashing my system.  

I just updated to the latest version of Evernote for Windows but it didn't seem to help.   I'm still having the same issue. 

On 10/14/2024 at 9:32 AM, gazumped said:

I just deleted your other post on this topic - please don't run parallel discussions...  I pasted the content here in case there was new information

I searched for a similar topic before I posted mine and found none.  It was only after I submitted mine that I came back and later found this thread.   I had no intention of running parallel discussions. The fact is, this is a serious problem and hoped to find a solution, or at least pass on the information to others.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Heather Haze said:

The fact is, this is a serious problem

...That might be solved by a clean reinstall or possibly using the Windows Store version of the app both of which have already been mentioned here.

I experience this too, from time to time. Not total/final freeze - but everything getting extremely slow for a while. It only happens when Evernote is installed on my computer, so it's clearly Evernote causing it.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, tired and disappointed said:

I experience this too, from time to time. Not total/final freeze - but everything getting extremely slow for a while. It only happens when Evernote is installed on my computer, so it's clearly Evernote causing it.

Did you try the suggested fixes yet?

Yes. Done that already before seeing those suggestions.

Can't detect any clear pattern (Evernote active or not) - Windows just suddenly freeze for a couple of minutes, and then begin to work again.

In a period (some weeks) where I didn't have Evernote installed on my computer, I never experienced it. When I installed Evernote again, freezing came back. 

It's not a bigger problem - compared to other more serious Evernote issues - as it only occurs occasionally, and the "fix" is to wait a couple of minutes. But it's of course quite annoying and worrying when it happens. 

• Like 1