Can't scan to the cloud with my ScanSnap scanner

Go to solution Solved by beirne,

I have a Evernote Edition scanner that I converted back to an ix500. It worked fine scanning straight to Evernote in the cloud until I moved recently and put the scanner on a different Wi-Fi network. I removed the existing Cloud services profile from ScanSnap Home 2.22.0 and created a new one to send the results to Evernote.

When I try to scan by hitting the big button on the scanner the green light in the button flashes a few times, but does not scan the item. The green Wi-Fi LED is lit up, so it's on the network.

I have attached a screenshot of the configuration. Any ideas on how I can get the scanner to send file to Evernote on the cloud? I don't want to do it to Evernote on my Mac because the OCR process slows down scanning too much.

Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 4.48.12 PM.png

• Level 5

Without any idea about why it doesn't work (I scan to my Mac, and let it OCR there. It takes only a few seconds longer to perform the OCR than the scan alone, hardly any time lost. And then I send the file with a "good" file name to an Import folder, which is converted into a note with a "good" title, saving me a lot of rework), you could try the ScanScnap Cloud app on your phone. It's able to connect to EN as well.

If both fail, it's probably an authentication issue.

If only the scan through the Mac fails, troubleshooting needs to focus on the Mac software & settings.

When I set up the cloud profile I successfully authenticated, and got an email from Evernote about the authentication, so I know it isn't that.

I just tried the Android version of ScanSnap Home but it doesn't find my ix500 and the scanner isn't supported with the App. ScanSnap Cloud is getting its End of Life in November and ScanSnap Home is the replacement.

• Level 5

ScanSnap Cloud is a mobile app. You need to add the scanner in it’s settings - for which both, phone and scanner need to be active and on the same network.

The „Cloud“ app can’t be replaced by ScanSnap Home, which is software for the desktop.

• Level 5

In the description for ScanSnap Home for iOS it clearly says:

*If you are using the iX500, use the ScanSnap Connect Application and the ScanSnap Cloud app.

Which is why I discarded it for my use with my regular ix500.

It turns out that the Android description says the same thing. ScanSnap Cloud is a nearly dead app, though. Its description starts with:

We will end the provision of ScanSnap Cloud app in November 2024.
Please use the successor software, ScanSnap Home for iOS/Android.

So I will focus on the desktop ScanSnap Home program.

• Level 5
8 hours ago, beirne said:

So I will focus on the desktop ScanSnap Home program.

Which in fact is pretty nice, having gained part of what used to be in ScanSnap Manager. 

In one of my prior posts I have described my workflow. I would always OCR my PDFs before sending them to EN.

The prior OCR is embedded into the PDF itself. Wherever it goes, wherever I need it, the text data is there and will in most cases be searchable.

If EN does the OCR, the result is embedded into the note (!). If the PDF is exported, the OCR information stays inside of EN. I get just a „dumb“ picture file PDF, that in most cases can’t be searched for.

Thats one of the reasons why I prefer the full process offered by the desktop software.

• Solution

I got scanning to the cloud working with ScanSnap Home on my Mac. Fujitsu/Ricoh put in a lot of effort to help me. For future reference here's the problem and the solution.

Problem: I have moved and have a new Wi-Fi network and ISP. The scan button would not go to green/yellow like it is supposed to.

Solution: Delete the scanner from the ScanSnap Home settings. Unplug the scanner and restart the Mac. After the Mac is restarted, connect the scanner to the Mac with a USB cable, plug in the scanner and open it up. Add the scanner back to ScanSnap Home and set up the Wi-Fi.

My kudos to ScanSnap support. They got it working and put in a lot of time on an 11-year old scanner. I know what brand of scanner I'm buying again.

• Level 5

Well, it’s quite obvious that you need to give the scanner the new WiFi profile, isn’t it ?

I had read what you said in your first post, and it said …

… until I moved recently and put the scanner on a different Wi-Fi network

… which made me (wrongly) assume you did the Wi-Fi setup.

Good it could be resolved - the ix500 is not the latest tech, but it still is an excellent, no bullshit scanner.

It is so obvious that I needed to give the scanner a new Wi-Fi profile that it was the first thing I did, long before I started this thread. However, it was not sufficient. The extra steps I documented above involved removing the whole scanner profile, not just changing the Wi-Fi network.

So now I am happily scanning to the cloud, thanks to ScanSnap support.