Moving bullet lists

Go to solution Solved by anfang,

Is there a good way to move bullet lists on Evernote Mobile?

Using iOS Evernote to illustrate, it currently takes the following number of steps to move a list item around:

1. (+3) Triple-tap the text to select the entire line. Also the iOS native menu appears
  2. (+1) Tap the 'Cut' button on the iOS menu to cut and remove the text
  3. (+2 or more) Backspace to remove the now-empty bullet item. If the bullet item is not nested, 1 backspace will remove the bullet symbol. If the bullet item is nested x layers deep, I'll need x backspaces to remove the bullet symbol. After removing the bullet symbol, I'll need another backspace to remove the empty line.
  4. (+1) Tap the destination line
  5. (+1) Move the cursor to the right position on the line
  6. (+1) Tap the cursor to open the iOS native menu
  7. (+1) Tap the 'Paste' button on the iOS menu. The text is pasted in front of whatever was originally on that line
  8. (+1) Add a newline to move the original content to the next line
  9. (+0 or more) If the indentation needs to be increased/decreased, more taps on the indent button are needed here

Total tap count: 11 or more (++ if fat fingers)

Some mobile apps have drag-move functionality (total tap count: 3).

I'm not expecting Evernote to achieve it in just 3 taps, but is there an easier workaround?

• Level 5

Select the list, making sure to select the lines right above and below as well. CUT from the little menu, go to the new position, insert.

Done.

Everything removed from position A, inserted at position B.

• Solution

Your mention of “select the lines above”, inspired me to try that with drag-drop as well. And it really worked magic.

The steps are now much shorter:

• (+3) triple tap
  • (+1) drag the start of the selection slightly upwards and also to the rear of the line above it. This ensures the entire line is selected. A visual indication would be that the bullet symbol itself is within the selection.
  • (+1) drag move
5 Interactions

Thank you for your help! ☺️