what does the "Group by Type" option do in the "Sort By" option list in the "Notebooks" tab?

What is the function of the "Group by Type" option in the "Sort By" option list in the "Notebooks" tab?

I have searched everywhere in the Evernote manuals and community forums and on the internet in general and I cannot find anything talking about this option or what is specifically does.

Please help!

Screen Shot 2024-07-19 at 4.14.55 PM.png

• Evernote Expert

I don't think it is anything useful. It may be left over from some experimental features or, for that matter, a menu item revealed too early.

I'm not sure it does anything at the moment.

I figured out what the Group by Type option does. In the Notebooks tab there are only two Types, Notebooks and Stacks. A Notebook has the option of nesting under stack or it can stand alone, however a Stack can only exist if there is one or more Notebooks nested under it. The Group by Type option only comes into play when you have both Stacks and stand alone Notebooks in your Notebooks tab. If you only have stand alone Notebooks in your Notebooks tab, the Group by Type option does nothing. If you only have Stacks in your Notebooks tab, the Group by Type option again does nothing. However, if you have both Stacks and stand alone Notebooks in your Notebooks tab, turning the Group by Type option ON groups the Stacks together at the top and the stand alone Notebooks together at the bottom. If you turn the Group by Type option OFF, it mixes the Stacks together with the stand alone Notebooks in whatever order the Sort By option you've chosen indicates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2