Using The New Audio Transcription Feature and Other Recent Add-Ons

I see that transcription is now possible through a dictation feature, but I would like to transcribe a pre-recorded file. Is there a way to do that now that transcription is incorporated into Evernote?

Consider this a feature requested not.

Please let me know. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2024 at 2:11 AM, yakuba42 said:

I would like to transcribe a pre-recorded file

10 hours ago, Dave Edwards said:

Not at this time.  I hope that it is added later.

What do you mean by a pre-recorded file?

If I remember correctly, I attached an MP3 file to a note in Evernote and it transcribed correctly. The file was from an external source i.e., not recorded on Evernote. It was an audio extract from a YouTube video.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It depends on the format. I haven’t tried many, but transcription worked with mp3, and it didn’t work with m4a files.

If the format is not recognized, there are free converter sites on the web that will produce a mp3. If concerned about privacy, a local converter software can be used. Or set the recording software to mp3, if possible.

The NEW audio transcription is incredible. You must start an audio note which records talking to the note in recording mode. When stopping the audio recording, a transcribe button comes up next to the recording. I have used it on an iphone and it has been flawless even getting local words (from Hawaii). 

If you are used to dictation and know like Dragon Dictate, control words like "new paragraph" they work. I have been impressed by the how accurate it is and have to say its as good and possibly better then my Dragon mobile. For me, as an attorney this is game changing. I organize my work in Evernote and now I can quickly dictate notes which don't have spelling errors. This makes Apple IOS Siri dictation look juvenile, and it hits a much higher inaccuracy level.

I thought I read they are testing the ability to attach an audio recording and then transcribe it, but I may have read that incorrect. I would be curious to see how accurate. I use OtterAI which is good, for telephone recordings but multiple party has issues.

• Like 3

You are absolutely right, the dictation feature in EN is really amazing, it even is able to recognize numbered lists and bullets! You can definitely attach mp3 file to Evernote and transcribe, which has also been noted above.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Just a hint: If the server connection is lost while using the Audio function on the mobile client, the whole recording is lost - not recoverable. I prefer to use an app that records locally.

On the desktop client in such a case the recording can be saved.

Importing a mp3-file let the transcribe button show at once, and it works fine. A m4a file was not recognized for transcription.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

This may be an official feature, but I discovered a workaround for transcribing audio files sent through text on iOS. These files are often *.m4a. If you attach the *.m4a inside a note, the audio file will be uploaded, but the transcribe feature will not turn on. The way around this is to send the file using the IOS share button (square with an upward arrow) and send it directly to Evernote. Evernote will create a new note and transform the audio file to make transcription available. It works great so far!

I must say, I tested it for my use cases this weekend -- totally impressed! Every bit as accurate as Nuance Dragon, just as quick, and handles all simple commands (new line, new para, numbered lists, etc.).

I take a brisk hourlong walk every morning. Not a stroll, it's designed to get me breathing hard. I do much of my creative/content thinking then. Using a BT earbud, EN can record my commentary while walking, and even deal well with the occasional passing car, dog barking, me running out of breath, etc.

Accuracy very near 100%. Handles sub-lists within lists (see pic). This particular one was recorded on a different app, then shared to EN. My last two have just been recorded on EN, but there's no difference that I can tell.

But that's just me...

Screenshot 2024-09-30 071810.png

• Level 5

You don’t know what you don’t know - I’m impressed, wisdom raining down on your walk 😉

OK, I’m equally impressed by the transcription feature. However on recipes spelled out in the heat of the kitchen battle I found it to miss a digit or comma sometimes. So take it with a grain of salt instead of a spoonful. Better to check, especially where the facts matter.