Evernote Desktop Windows can't startup - Wants to update to v 6.25.1 but file not found

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

Dear all,

I work with Evernote desktop on windows but I can't launch Evernote anymore.

I get asked tot install Evernote v 6.25.1 but apparently the source Evernote.msi is not available.

I still have unsynced documents and don't want to lose them by reinstalling....

The screenshot is in dutch, but the problem is that the file Evernote.msi is not in the folder...

Please help

Maxime

Screenshot 2024-02-16 112248.png

• Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  You're apparently using a wildly out of date copy of a now discontinued and unsupported application which could stop syncing with Evernote servers permanently within days or weeks.  And that's the good news!

Hopefully you have enough time to navigate out of this situation safely,  and this is what I'd suggest.

1. Download a 'safe' version of the old software from here - https://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.25.2.9198.exe
  2. Find your Evernote folder on your local hard drive - probably C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases
    (or search for *.exb files on your system which will be in the Databases sub-folder) 
    Go up one level to the main Evernote folder and copy it somewhere safe as a backup. - if anything goes wrong you can at least get back to where you are now.
  3. Log out of / quit everything else you have running and just run the 6.25.2 installer.  This should replace your existing installation.
  4. If the install finishes successfully,  open Evernote and leave it running for a while to catch up.
  5. You can sign in to Evernote.com to see and check your notes on the server.
  6. After 24 hours copy the main Evernote folder somewhere safe - again.
  7. Download and install the latest v10 version.  It will uninstall the 6.25.2 software,  but you have your backups and the download link above should you still need it.
  8. Good luck!

You will,  I guarantee,  hate the new version at first sight;  but get used to it,  because that's now the only game in town.  I've been using v10 now for most of 2 years and no longer have any access to - or need for - the older versions.

If you have any concerns or questions,  please ask!