Irritating adverts from Evernote and blocking new notes

Hi there,

I've been a user of the free Evernote account for the last few years. My users statistics is as follows:

Total number of notes - less than 5000

Number of notebooks - 6

Number of new notes per month - up to 100

There was an app update last month which raised some concerns about UI changes with new popups blocking the view (see attached screenshot) and removal of the top toolbar, which I don't know if it is possible to retire and return respectively. Evernote has become noticeably slow with the retirement of the previous Legacy version.

Now Evernote constantly puts up adverts on my screen every day proposing to switch to a new plan. But today I've noticed something new after update: Evernote doesn't permit me create any new notes, the advert says in my native Russian  that I am only allowed to have now 1 notebook and 50 notes. I am a little surprised of the change because the following link says that I am still within the limits of the free account:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247-Evernote-system-limits

Can anybody enlighten me on what I've been missing so far to fill the picture?

Thanks.

222.jpg

333.jpg

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

Can anybody enlighten me on what I've been missing so far to fill the picture?

It looks like Evernote is doing a marketing test targeting some free users, but not all in an attempt to migrate free users over to a paid plan.  They have not communicated this at all (that I've seen) but we have been guessing based on posts in the forums.  It looks like the free plan may be removed at some point and they could be testing approaches on how best to manage this.

1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

It looks like Evernote is doing a marketing test targeting some free users, but not all in an attempt to migrate free users over to a paid plan.  They have not communicated this at all (that I've seen) but we have been guessing based on posts in the forums.  It looks like the free plan may be removed at some point and they could be testing approaches on how best to manage this.

Well, I ain't here to judge about the pricing policy, but the the price tag they put in their ads seems overestimated 🙂 the other thing clearly being inconsistency with the above link which clarifies the limits for each type of user account. 

A sudden change as to disabling the creation of new notes strikes the most. I dunno if this has anything to do with changes in the Middle East politics. But in my view the usefulness of the latest software changes clearly undermines the whole marketing and targeting concept. So I've started pulling my data off the program just in case if a new earthquake hits the earth.

• Level 5*

This has nothing to do with Middle East politics.  Evernote was sold to Bending Spoons in Italy about a year ago and the new team has been busy with many changes, some good: improved sync, and speed, and some not so good: pricing and how they are changing the free plan.  Personally, I think the free plan does need to sunset, but I'm not a fan of their approach.  Going from free to $129 USD is a step too far.  They need a basic plan if they hope to entice any sizable amount of the free population of users over to paying customers.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

This has nothing to do with Middle East politics.  Evernote was sold to Bending Spoons in Italy about a year ago and the new team has been busy with many changes, some good: improved sync, and speed, and some not so good: pricing and how they are changing the free plan.  Personally, I think the free plan does need to sunset, but I'm not a fan of their approach.  Going from free to $129 USD is a step too far.  They need a basic plan if they hope to entice any sizable amount of the free population of users over to paying customers.

Thanks. Well, my understanding is that the choice ain't that limited as far as freeware is concerned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_note-taking_software

In fact, backups and sourceforge tools seem to be the right way for moving forward 🙂

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

Thanks. Well, my understanding is that the choice ain't that limited as far as freeware is concerned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_note-taking_software

In fact, backups and sourceforge tools seem to be the right way for moving forward 🙂

Yes, there are plenty of options out there now.  Pick what works best for you. Here is another link with comparisons:

https://noteapps.info/apps/compare