Ctrl-A and selecting text in table cells

zazou103

Idea

Ctrl-a is the default key combination for selecting all text. In all other programs, I know, ctrl-a in a table cell selects at first the complete text in that cell and if you type it a second time the text in the whole document.

In evernote the whole document is selected on typing ctrl-a once. That is very impractical. In general it is not very comfortable to select the text in a table cell. You must be very carefull, to not select more than one cell or the whole table.

I would appreciate, if you could adapt the functionality of all the other programs.

Regards,

Vera

• Like 1

4 replies to this idea

7 minutes ago, zazou103 said:

Ctrl-a is the default key combination for selecting all text. In all other programs, I know, ctrl-a in a table cell selects at first the complete text in that cell and if you type it a second time the text in the whole document.

In evernote the whole document is selected on typing ctrl-a once. That is very impractical. In general it is not very comfortable to select the text in a table cell. You must be very carefull, to not select more than one cell or the whole table.

I would appreciate, if you could adapt the functionality of all the other programs.

Regards,

Vera

I don't know how general the behaviour you describe is but I agree that EN certainly doesn't do that. I gess it would be aueful feature. Currently, If I want to select the text in a cell, I tend to either:

• Tab through the cells, which automatically selects the text in each cell as you go through it. Don't go beyond the last cell as you will create a new row.
  • or click in a cell and then do {Home} then {Shift}{End} - I use this in an AutoHotKey script so i know it works consistently

Double clicking a cell also selects it if you are lucky! Only seems to work for the first column.

46 minutes ago, Mike P said:

or click in a cell and then do {Home} then {Shift}{End} - I use this in an AutoHotKey script so i know it works consistently

Unfortunately that doesn`t work for cells with multiline text. Then only the current line is selected.

47 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Double clicking a cell also selects it if you are lucky

Selects only one word.

But in general evernote should do the same as ms-word or other widely used programs. 

Additionally if i am typing something, it is uncomfortable to grab the mouse and click something. A keystroke is much easier and it is used behavior.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, zazou103 said:

Unfortunately that doesn`t work for cells with multiline text. Then only the current line is selected.

True. If you are on the last line you can do {end} then {shift}+{Home} and then press {Up} a few times, but that is starting to get a bit silly.

Selects only one word.

Only if you click a word! If you double click white space it selects the whole cell, but only in the first column. A much  better solution, I've since discovered, is to ctrl+click anywhere in a cell which selects the entire cell. Works for cells in all columns and wherever you click within the cell.

Additionally if i am typing something, it is uncomfortable to grab the mouse and click something.

Completely agree. So you are presumably navigating through the table with some combination of tab and arrow keys. If you are in a cell and want to copy it you can either {Tab} followed by {Shift}{Tab} or vice versa. 

I don't disagree at all with changing the behaviour of Ctrl+a but it's unlikely to happen any time soon. It's therefore good to make sure we all have a thorough understanding of what can and can't currently be done, especially when trying to only use the keyboard.

• Like 2

I know it's been said that using the mouse can be uncomfortable and/or take longer as your fingers must leave the keyboard, but you can also triple click in a cell to select the entire cell contents and is what I usually do. Other programs implement something similar with a triple click. (For example, in this forum a double-click will select the word, then triple click will select the paragraph. A triple-click in an Evernote cell will select the entire cell even if there is more than one paragraph in that cell.)

• Like 1