Number of notes with a specific tag is either inconsistent/inaccurate

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

Hi!

I have Windows 11 and Evernote version 10.55.2. 

I may be misunderstanding the layout, but when I go to tags and look at them, I can see a number if brackets (parentheses) after the tag. I assumed this was the number of notes with that tag. However, when I click on the tag to bring up all of those notes, I have a different amount appear.

For example I have a tag which looks like this in the tag-listing:

tag_name (9)

But when I click on tag_name there are only 3 notes that appear.  I am starting in home and there are no other filters (such as notebook specific) applied.  

Am I just misunderstanding what these numbers mean?

Many thanks for your time.

• Solution
46 minutes ago, HannahP said:

I may be misunderstanding the layout, but when I go to tags and look at them, I can see a number if brackets (parentheses) after the tag. I assumed this was the number of notes with that tag. However, when I click on the tag to bring up all of those notes, I have a different amount appear.

You are understanding it correctly - that is how it should behave.

image.png.991ce0a21cb69c5b898bf0161b53cd65.png

It sounds as though your local database needs rebuilding. You can confirm this by checking the same thing on the web version - the web version takes information directly from the server (definitive version) so is the "correct" version of your data.

To fix the local data base simply sign out of EN (File 🢂 Sign out XXX) and then on the next screen choose "Remove my EN data from this device". When you login again EN will rebuild the database - this might take some time but EN should be useable throughout.

• Like 3

Hi Mike!

Thanks so much - this was what was needed. Earlier I'd struggled to find a note as well, so that will be for the same reason.  All now working and much appreciated. I'll remember this local database trick if things go wrong in the future.

• Thanks 1