Tagging: partial tag completion

fragefrank

Idea

The web clipper supports partial completion of tags when assigning a tag. Typing a string will find tags that contain the string anywhere in the tag. Not just tags that start with it.

Typing 'recipes' will list 'recipes old' as well as 'old recipes' as options.

This is incredibly useful to keep tags consistent and coherent. 

Please add it on the desktop /web clients as well. Such a simple thing. I can not quite understand why it's not there yet.

6 replies to this idea

45 minutes ago, fragefrank said:

Please add it on the desktop /web clients as well. Such a simple thing. I can not quite understand why it's not there yet.

I personally don't want my list of tags cluttered up with tags that don't start with what I typed. If I type "age" I'm not interested in "sausage".No objection to it being an option of course.

In the mean time the edit tags menu does give you a "true" search:

image.png.b94f79d31b335315d2a4bffad19cda4e.png

It's not my favourite menu and definitely needs work:

• Option of a simple list rather than showing the tags in the hierarchy
  • Ability to select a tag with the keyboard (you can move through them with the arrow keys)
  • Cancelling the search string once a tag has been selected.

The Webclipper's 'add tag' field has partial tag completion.

It's very useful for tag consistency when adding tags: when you have many tags, it's impossible to remember how exactly they are typed. Currently, if you type 'age' only 'age old' would be suggested, but not 'old age'. Thus likely, you create a new tag with a different name for the same semantics. Your tags become inconsistent.

Edit tag menu also has partial tag completion, but it doesn't help. I'm interested in consistent adding of tags at note creation, not in editing tags afterwards. 

Could make it a setting to choose in the preferences.

1 hour ago, fragefrank said:

Thus likely, you create a new tag with a different name for the same semantics.

Personally I'm more disciplined in my tag naming but I do see your point.

1 hour ago, fragefrank said:

Edit tag menu also has partial tag completion, but it doesn't help. I'm interested in consistent adding of tags at note creation, not in editing tags afterwards.

"Edit tag" is not a good name for this menu. You can add tags when there are no tags as well as iedit existing tags. Simply create the note and then bring up the menu.

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

Personally I'm more disciplined in my tag naming but I do see your point.

Different people have different tagging systems ;)

If you rely on tags, you can have many tags, and then it's not a matter of discipline but of memory.

1 hour ago, Mike P said:
3 hours ago, fragefrank said:

"Edit tag" is not a good name for this menu. You can add tags when there are no tags as well as iedit existing tags. Simply create the note and then bring up the menu.

The matter is the location of the workstep within the workflow. Not the name of the menu.

The function 'add tag' already does tag completion. My suggestion is that this function, not the 'edit tag' function, does 'partial tag completion'. Like the WebClipper does. To improve consistency when adding (not editing) tags to notes.

25 minutes ago, fragefrank said:

To improve consistency when adding (not editing) tags to notes.

If you have a new note containing no tags you can add tags to it by either

• clicking at the bottom of the note and adding tags in the tag area
  • or bring up the edit tags menu 

As I said before "edit tags" is not a good name as it implies you must already have tags in the note that need editing.

30 minutes ago, fragefrank said:

If you rely on tags, you can have many tags, and then it's not a matter of discipline but of memory.

I have thousands of tags but they are in a complex hierarchy which means I can easily browse or search for them. I would certainly not have "recipes old" and "old recipes" because they would sit next to each other in the hierarchy and I would have spotted my error. I also have groups of tags starting with the same special character to quickly bring them up ($current, $critical etc). To reiterate, I have no argument with there being an option to search for characters within the tag from the tag area but please make it an option because it would make life more difficult for some of us.

1 hour ago, Mike P said:
2 hours ago, fragefrank said:

To improve consistency when adding (not editing) tags to notes.

If you have a new note containing no tags you can add tags to it by either

• clicking at the bottom of the note and adding tags in the tag area

I know how to add tags. My request is to have partial tag completion for THIS add tag function. Just as the Webclipper's add tag functions does. 

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

As I said before "edit tags" is not a good name as it implies you must already have tags in the note that need editing.

I do not want to use 'edit tags' for adding tags. Way too complicated. My feature request is not about this.

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

I have thousands of tags but they are in a complex hierarchy which means I can easily browse or search for them. I would certainly not have "recipes old" and "old recipes" because they would sit next to each other in the hierarchy and I would have spotted my error. I also have groups of tags starting with the same special character to quickly bring them up ($current, $critical etc).

Same problem: it's not easy to remember where in the hierarchy tree a sub-tag sits. Partial tag completion allows you to select from already existing tags, and avoid creating duplicate tags with different names but same semantics. Again, as in the WebClipper's add tag box.