(Archived) Check for new updates in EN 3.0

I have to admit that while I find the online notes interesting I have no real use for them. I have a local notebook and have EN turned offline. I find that I am not reminded of new updates when they come out. And I have to go to the online version, log in and go to the download link and actually start a download of the product just to see if there is a new version.

I would suggest a CHECK FOR NEW VERSION link on the EN 3.0 HELP menu or at least posting the present build number in the download link for EN 3.0.

In EN3 Win it's Help/Check for Updates, and in EN3 Mac, it's Evernote/Check For Updates (unless I'm completely missing what you're asking for). They both appear to work even when working offline (but of course, one must be connected to the Internet, just offline for Evernote login purposes). Much easier than going to the download link.

Cheers,

-e-

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I responded to this but guess it didn't go through.

I discovered that I was running EN PORTABLE - which does not have HELP -> CHECK FOR UPDATES. About 4 times now I have totally UNINSTALLED EN3 and reinstalled it only to have it revert to EN portable. WTH is going on here? I reinstall, do an update check (maybe even a few over a few days / weeks) I go to check again and CHECK FOR UPDATES isn't there and my full blown EN3 is again portable? What can be causing this?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today I opened EN to find that it is yet again EN portable. It was EN FULL last week when I checked it last.

I am in the habit of deleting TEMP files periodically using a util that I have. Am I deleting something that differentiates between EN portable and EN full?

Well, today I opened EN to find that it is yet again EN portable. It was EN FULL last week when I checked it last.

I am in the habit of deleting TEMP files periodically using a util that I have. Am I deleting something that differentiates between EN portable and EN full?

Evernote thinks that it is Portable when it checks registry and finds out that the directory it was installed into doesn't match with the directory it is now running from (i.e. if you simply move Evernote program folder into another location, it will work as EN Portable since then).

Hmm, I installed it into the same directory it's running from, and even REinstalled it like 3 times now to the SAME directory. It runs as full for a while then seemingly spontaneously changes to portable. I have however moved my DB file to an alternate location.

I do have 2.2 still installed, could this be an issue?

Hmm, I installed it into the same directory it's running from, and even REinstalled it like 3 times now to the SAME directory. It runs as full for a while then seemingly spontaneously changes to portable. I have however moved my DB file to an alternate location.

I do have 2.2 still installed, could this be an issue?

2.2 shouldn't be an issue. One possible cause is that some third-party software on your computer may reset (or roll-back) registry settings (for example, thinking that it cleans the 'junk'), so next time Evernote runs, it can't find proper environment values it set at setup time, and runs as Portable since then.

Archived