Catastrophic Update: My account completely disappeared after an Update... how can this happen?

I am on a Surface Pro with Windows 10.  I have had evernote basic of 7 years with meager usage until this summer.  I then began adding hundreds of items to Evernote.  I had done an update or two during the summer I think... very straightforward. Opened program, it suggested update, selected yes... got reminder to sync first and did so each time.  No problems until Saturday Nov 21, 2020.  Followed same steps when it suggested update, including sync first.  This time received an additional message in the process requiring adding an Evernote Cleanup Utility.  I chose the boxes to proceed, though I did a quick google to see if that utility would be safe... saw nothing to suggest otherwise.  Also, on my desktop Evernote, my Update tool said I was up to date with version 6.4.2.3288, but wanted to update to 10.4.3.xxxx. That was weird, but just proceeded.  When done, I could not sign into my account.  I was being forced to a new sign in and used my old name and password.  I now have NO DATA from the last 7 years.  This can't happen.  What do I do to get back to my existing account???!!!

• Level 5*

Hi. 

To install an older version of Evernote go to https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

It sounds as though your password change may have led to your opening a new account - hence the lack of notes.  If your original log-in doesn't work,  try the lost password option on Evernote.com