(Archived) Keystroke inconsistency

RobLewis

Idea

In every other Mac application I'm aware of that supports it, the keystroke for "paste without formatting" is Cmd-Opt-Shift-V. But in Evernote, it's just Cmd-Shift-V (Cmd-Opt-Shift-V appears to be a NOP).

Don't know why you chose to be different, but I'd vote for adhering to general usage.

And somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about this. I know Apple Mail uses Cmd-Opt-Shift-V.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

This just may be for consistency with the Windows client, which uses Ctrl + Shift + V for 'paste without formatting'. If there's a standard for the Mac, that probably should be supported (but maybe retain the current one as well, for those folks who use both Mac and Windows).

~Jeff

Beg to differ, jefito.

Just because Windows uses Ctrl-C for "copy," does that mean the Mac version should support BOTH Ctrl-C and the standard Cmd-C for copy?

When I switch between platforms, I should observe the conventions of the platform, not of one application. Even Microsoft Word does this.

The idea of supporting both standard and nonstandard keystrokes for an operation is just wrong, and opens the door to all sorts of problems. Please kill this idea now (and make EN adhere to the Mac standard).

• Level 5*
Beg to differ, jefito.

Granted.

Just because Windows uses Ctrl-C for "copy," does that mean the Mac version should support BOTH Ctrl-C and the standard Cmd-C for copy?

Huh. Exactly where did I say that?.

When I switch between platforms, I should observe the conventions of the platform, not of one application. Even Microsoft Word does this.

Did you not read what I said correctly? Just to refresh:

If there's a standard for the Mac, that probably should be supported (but maybe retain the current one as well, for those folks who use both Mac and Windows).

The principal clause of this sentence is pretty much identical to what you said.; the parenthetical portion hints at an option that points at a possible solution that could cater to the growing population of Windows users who also use Mac, emphasis on the "maybe".

The idea of supporting both standard and nonstandard keystrokes for an operation is just wrong, and opens the door to all sorts of problems. Please kill this idea now (and make EN adhere to the Mac standard).

I don't think I'd put myself into the position of claiming that such-and-such a UI strategy was "just wrong", unless it were actively user-hostile. In point of fact, since you didn't ask, I would advocate having all Evernote operations be available via user-configurable keystrokes, with sensible defaults for the most common ones.

By the way, if you're laboring under the misapprehension that I am an Evernote employee, or have any power to kill any ideas, double-plus ungood or otherwise, I am not, and I don't.

~Jeff

Archived