(Archived) Importing data

I want to import a few hundred text files (or xml if it has advantages) into the Windows beta.

These are short notes usually less than a A4 page of unformated text.

Is there anyway to specify in the source file

a) tags

:) Creation date

c) subject

so that the import wizard will automatically add these to notebook?

If the email route has more options I'm willing to do it that way instead.

Once we introduce the new XML-based format for notes, understandable across Evernote clients, you will be able to create such special XML files, which will include all note attributes you mentioned, and bulk-import them into Evernote.

Adding support for XML import/export is a rather priority feature in our todo list.

• 2 months later...

As you guessed, this hasn't been completed yet. It's slipped a little, but it should be in the next batch of things we do.

We're also planning to publish our network API for open access to the service accounts in the next month or so. This could serve a similar purpose for some applications. We're doing some initial external testing of this API now.

• 1 month later...

Is a draft of the API available now?

I will need to do some work to convert my 1400 small rtf files with creation date and tag in the filename into a format that Evernote will understand.

It would be nice to have this ready for when the Import facilities are upgraded.

Is a draft of the API available now?

I will need to do some work to convert my 1400 small rtf files with creation date and tag in the filename into a format that Evernote will understand.

It would be nice to have this ready for when the Import facilities are upgraded.

You can google for 'rtf2html' (http://www.google.com/search?q=rtf2html) and find any tool to batch convert all your rtf to html files Evernote would understand. Then either drag-n-drop files onto Evernote or use Note > Import Wizard to import those files. This won't generate tags for you, though. The date of the file will be preserved as a 'subject date' attribute.

Thanks. I followed your suggestions and it has imported nicely.

By grouping the source xml files by tag and then importing all those files for a given tag I've been able to tag the Notebook.

I had used the touch command on these htm files so the "Subject date" in Evernote matched the date the original note was created.

Archived