(Archived) Adesso + Evernote

I've got an Adesso notepad that I've been using with Evernote 2.2 (I upgraded as soon as I got the tablet), and I just upgraded to Evernote 3. All of my existing notes migrated to Evernote 3 just fine, and when I sync, I can see them all online - great job!

But when I try to move new notes from an Adesso tablet into the Evernote 3 Windows client (on Vista), I'm having a problem. When I plug in the tablet, I see the Adesso storage area show up as a removable drive, with all files in their appropriate folders. Note pages show up as .TOP files.

When I drag one of these into the Evernote client, I see the page appear perfectly in Evernote -so far, so good. When I sync, however, I see a blank page online, and when I click the blank page to see the "big" view, I just see a link called "Download ink". I see this on the host PC, and on other PC's, too.

Any ideas?

I have not experienced that issue in any of my three installations of Evernote. Occasionally, an ink note seems to crash the system when I try to shift back to the main tape, but the behavior is not regular enough to determine what causes it.

Frank Abbott

But when I try to move new notes from an Adesso tablet into the Evernote 3 Windows client (on Vista), I'm having a problem. When I plug in the tablet, I see the Adesso storage area show up as a removable drive, with all files in their appropriate folders. Note pages show up as .TOP files.

When I drag one of these into the Evernote client, I see the page appear perfectly in Evernote -so far, so good. When I sync, however, I see a blank page online, and when I click the blank page to see the "big" view, I just see a link called "Download ink". I see this on the host PC, and on other PC's, too.

Any ideas?

I have the _exact_ same problem.

I have the Adesso Cyberpad. I have been able to use the Cyberpad successfully with EN 2.2.

I created new .top files with the Cyberpad. I dragged them into Evernote 3b (Windows). The digital ink page appears ok (as you said). I seem to be able to search on it via the Windows client.

However, when it syncs, I get the same weird blank page in the thumbnail view. I click on the thumbnail. Then I also see the same "Download ink" link.

Further "Evernote Web client" searches seem to completely ignore the "synced digital ink".

Thanks for any information.

I tried this on several notes today, and I could not replicate your problem. My only thought, and this is from far left field is to suggest either a video driver issue or conflict with your browser. I am using Evernote 3.0.550 on an AMD X2 5600 with a fairly low end Radeon X1050 video card, and Firefox 2.013, and it causes no problem. I have my resolution set to 1280 x 760. I have no confidence that my suggestion is right, I just cannot think of any other explanation that might be causing your problem since the note loads into Evernote correctly and displays that way, but has the problem on the web version after syncing. You might try to update your video drivers or try a different screen resolution, or even try a different browser.

Frank Abbott

I tried this on several notes today, and I could not replicate your problem. My only thought, and this is from far left field is to suggest either a video driver issue or conflict with your browser. I am using Evernote 3.0.550 on an AMD X2 5600 with a fairly low end Radeon X1050 video card, and Firefox 2.013, and it causes no problem. I have my resolution set to 1280 x 760. I have no confidence that my suggestion is right, I just cannot think of any other explanation that might be causing your problem

Hmm...I'm glad dlambert had the same issue. That gives me hope that it's not just me.

To clarify, if I create a new note, change mode to "digital ink mode", and then manually "write some text", that shows up ok in Evernote 3b windows client (3.0.0.550) . I then sync it, and it shows up ok on the web site also. I can also search it via the web site or via the Windows client, and that digital ink text is recognized ok.

It's the "Adesso top" files that seem to be an issue. I drag the files into Evernote 3b fine. They show up fine. I can search them within Windows client ok. But when I sync to the web, it seems to load a "corrupted note" (for lack of a better term). This corrupted note has a blank thumbnail. You click on the corrupted note, and instead of showing you the note, it just shown a "Download ink" link.

I guess I thought by dragging into Evernote 3b I was "converting" the digital ink at that point, so whatever I was uploading was something Evernote web could handle. But it seems like Evernote web is saying "I can't display this, so I'll just let the user click a link to download it".

I'll keep experimenting, but if anyone has ideas (or similar experiences), please join the thread. The water's fine.

I just saw something in the release notes for the Windows client about fixing ink importing for Aiptek notepads (same basic thing as the Addesso). I'll have to check what version I'm on when I get home to see if this is a fix that applies to us, or whether we're still out of luck.

This is the only real killer problem I've seen so far, and the rest of the app looks great, so I'm anxious to try it out.

I just saw something in the release notes for the Windows client about fixing ink importing for Aiptek notepads (same basic thing as the Addesso). I'll have to check what version I'm on when I get home to see if this is a fix that applies to us, or whether we're still out of luck.

This is the only real killer problem I've seen so far, and the rest of the app looks great, so I'm anxious to try it out.

Great idea.

I checked the notes.

http://evernote.com/about/support/release_notes/

Seems like the Aiptek fix was in v. 3.0.0.542

Import and Export

* Fixed conversion of ink notes from Apitek tablets.

I'm using 3.0.0.550 (after that fix), so I think this is still an issue (for us anyway).

Hmmm.... Several questions.

(Please forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something.)

Added same .top files to the Windows EN client.

Let EN index the files locally, just in case.

Indexing was successful.

Then I clicked sync.

It synced successfully.

Initially it _still_ showed up as a blank thumbnail in the web client.

Tried an experiment.

I went back to the EN Windows client, and typed some footer text at the end of the digital ink note.

Then I resynced again.

Then I went back to the web client.

Reloaded page.

The thumbnail now looked right.

Clicked on it, and I saw the full digital ink.

1) Is the digital ink supposed to show up with "no muss, no fuss" after a sync?

Do we have to wait for indexing or something? If so, how long on average?

I waited at least 12 hours to see... but those thumbnails didn't seem to display. (unless I did that experiment I just mentioned...adding some footer text to the note and forcing a resync)

2) If we do type words at the end of an imported digital ink page, what happens to those words? Are any of them used for indexing the digital note?

I don't see them in the web client.

In the windows client, I can see them, and I believe I can use them as additional keywords to my note searching.

That's how I used them before...I tag the digital ink note as I see fit with normal tags, but if I had additional comments, I just wrote them at the footer.

The "first footer line" seems to be used automatically as the "title of the digital ink note."

So that is seen by the web client, and apparently used in the indexing (because my web client searches seem to work on the title).

Everything else I typed in the footer seems to be lost (when I try to search for them).

3) When you search in the web client, is it supposed to highlight the words in yellow (for imported top files)? In images and text notes it seems to highlight ok.

In the digital ink notes I have, the web client seems to find the notes, but doesn't highlight anything.

4)I _can_ email from within the Windows EN client. It brings up a new email window with the digital ink displayed, and I can then send it. When I receive it, the digital ink shows up ok.

I emailed a digital ink note from within the _web_ client (an ink note that actually showed up ok in the web client).

However, when I received it, all it had was a link that said "Download ink"

Thanks for any info.

Good catch, jttpost! I can confirm this behavior -- I typed a note at the bottom of one of the ink images in the EV3 Windows client, then sync'ed, and it's not showing up on the web. If all else failes, this is workaround, but I'd rather the ink notes just sync w/o the extra step.

The problem is reportedly fixed (it was on a server side). Will be available on a live server shortly.

iafanasyev,

Just curious if there's any further progress on this issue.

Please see my earlier post regarding my current problems.

[in summary, Adesso .top files are still not displayed correctly on the web client, unless you do a "weird workaround".]

Thanks for any info,

jttpost

I have an Adesso cyberpad as well.

I had to install the Windows version with Fusion on my Mac to get the TOP files to import (because when i tried a few weeks ago the mac version didn't support it)

Anybody have any idea when I can add the top files to the mac version?

I would really like to stick with one version for now. (Mac)

Thanks

The problem is reportedly fixed (it was on a server side). Will be available on a live server shortly.

iafanasyev,

Just curious if there's any further progress on this issue.

As far as I know, the update of the live server was delayed for several days -- as it will be updated, you should see the effect of this fix.

1) Is the digital ink supposed to show up with "no muss, no fuss" after a sync?

Do we have to wait for indexing or something? If so, how long on average?

I waited at least 12 hours to see... but those thumbnails didn't seem to display. (unless I did that experiment I just mentioned...adding some footer text to the note and forcing a resync)

This part seems fixed. I imported a new top file to the Windows client. Synced. It showed up ok in the web client.

Thanks a lot

2) If we do type words at the end of an imported digital ink page, what happens to those words? Are any of them used for indexing the digital note?

I don't see them in the web client.

In the windows client, I can see them, and I believe I can use them as additional keywords to my note searching.

That's how I used them before...I tag the digital ink note as I see fit with normal tags, but if I had additional comments, I just wrote them at the footer.

The "first footer line" seems to be used automatically as the "title of the digital ink note."

So that is seen by the web client, and apparently used in the indexing (because my web client searches seem to work on the title).

Everything else I typed in the footer seems to be lost (when I try to search for them).

I still have questions on this part...I don't believe I heard a response.

3) When you search in the web client, is it supposed to highlight the words in yellow (for imported top files)? In images and text notes it seems to highlight ok.

In the digital ink notes I have, the web client seems to find the notes, but doesn't highlight anything.

I still have questions on this part also...I don't believe I heard a response.

4)I _can_ email from within the Windows EN client. It brings up a new email window with the digital ink displayed, and I can then send it. When I receive it, the digital ink shows up ok.

I emailed a digital ink note from within the _web_ client (an ink note that actually showed up ok in the web client).

However, when I received it, all it had was a link that said "Download ink"

I tried this again. It still does not work.

That is, I can email my imported digital ink notes from the Windows client. The email actually shows the note ok.

I cannot email imported digital ink notes from the web client itself. The email still just says "Download ink".

Thanks for any info,

jttpost

• 1 year later...

Archived