Causes my laptop screen backlight to turn off

Had a very strange bug popped up the day after I installed MacOS 10.13.5.  Apple technical support couldn't fix.  I have an appointment for a hands-on check, when I started nosing around. 

PROBLEM: the backlight for my MBP 2017 randomly turns itself off.  Closing the cover and then opening again usually solves the problem, for a while.  As more time passes the problem occurs more frequently, and the fix lasts less long, until it doesn't work at all.  MBP runs external monitor just fine.  Apple technical support, over the phone and chat, can't find a problem - even with OS re-install.  As I nosed around, I found an old version of Evernote running in the background.  When I tried to activate it, it crashes and I get ~ 10 Evernote symbols in my status bar.  Uninstalled, re-installed newest version (I was way out of date), and rebooted. Still happens.  Totally uninstall, reboot, doesn't happen!  At least not yet.

So, I think there is a problem with 10.13.5 and Evernote - at least an old version.  And also when I install new version, some critical piece either is still incompatible, or does't get swapped out by the reinstall program.  Am I the only one?

So currently I have Evernote uninstalled ...

19 hours ago, christianfahey said:

Had a very strange bug popped up the day after I installed MacOS 10.13.5.  Apple technical support couldn't fix.  I have an appointment for a hands-on check, when I started nosing around. 

PROBLEM: the backlight for my MBP 2017 randomly turns itself off.  Closing the cover and then opening again usually solves the problem, for a while.  As more time passes the problem occurs more frequently, and the fix lasts less long, until it doesn't work at all.  MBP runs external monitor just fine.  Apple technical support, over the phone and chat, can't find a problem - even with OS re-install.  As I nosed around, I found an old version of Evernote running in the background.  When I tried to activate it, it crashes and I get ~ 10 Evernote symbols in my status bar.  Uninstalled, re-installed newest version (I was way out of date), and rebooted. Still happens.  Totally uninstall, reboot, doesn't happen!  At least not yet.

So, I think there is a problem with 10.13.5 and Evernote - at least an old version.  And also when I install new version, some critical piece either is still incompatible, or does't get swapped out by the reinstall program.  Am I the only one?

So currently I have Evernote uninstalled ...

That is interesting and unusual. On my iMac at the house, I have the latest OS X and the latest version of Evernote (public release, not beta) and it works. I did have a problem with my older MacBook Pro before though, I would try to open Evernote and nothing would come up. The top left corner would say Evernote but nothing on the screen. I did many uninstalls and reinstalls to fix it, but nothing was working. To be honest, not sure how it got fixed (because I don't use that laptop much anymore) but must be after an upgrade or something because now it works on that laptop too.

Archived