(Archived) Unable to synchronize with server on home network.

mattsandel

Idea

Hello,

After moving to a new apartment (same internet service provider), I have been unable to synchronize with Evernote. The error message reads as follows:

Evernote is unable to connect with the Evernote Service. This may be due to a network problem or service maintenance. Please try again later. If enabled, automatic synchronization will resume once the Service becomes available.

As I fool around, I've noticed that several other things are amiss. Another bit of software on the same device does not sync with its web server and the wi-fi router says it cannot connect to a server for updates. However so far other apps are fine.

Clearly this is not "Evernote's problem", but I was wondering if anyone here has encountered something similar and knows how to solve it.

Thanks.

4 replies to this idea

You could check here after a failed sync: Help > Activity Log...

There may be some more details.

You can also try logging on to Evernote on the web from Safari (not Chrome, FF, etc.) on the same machine. Does this work without any errors/warnings/pop-ups, etc.?

You could check here after a failed sync: Help > Activity Log...

There may be some more details.

You can also try logging on to Evernote on the web from Safari (not Chrome, FF, etc.) on the same machine. Does this work without any errors/warnings/pop-ups, etc.?

I opened up Safari and I was routed to a page from my ISP. It told me to disable proxies (I did not know I was using a different setting in this program). Once I did that in Safari, all of these problems disappeared. The programs all synced up correctly.

So thanks for your help!

PS - So I know in the future, should I expect that the default internet protocols on the machine are through the settings in Safari?

Yes, Evernote's client just talks to our service (www.evernote.com) via standard http and https (ports 80 and 443). We use the built-in HTTP networking libraries that are part of OS X, which results in the same networking as you see in Safari.

Archived