(Archived) Jumping the gun pessimistically

I see that a lot of us 2.2 lovers have been getting worried about whether we're going to lose those features that really elevate Evernote above any other program choices we might make. I think we're probably getting a bit too pessimistic a bit too early.

Phil said in his "What's it all about" topic

First of all, it's an early beta. Many features are still not implemented and will be added in the next couple of months. In addition to the many new capabilities, all of the "core" 2.2 functionality will be present in Evernote 3. Some of the features will make the transition completely untouched and some will be conceptually different and hopefully more powerful.

And he said that just a month ago (Feb.)

Now, maybe what he means by "core functionality" is open to question, but I feel he made a pretty clear promise that EVERYTHING we've grown used to will wind up in version 3, and some of it will be made even more powerful and easy to use. Later in his post he says it's a matter of prioritizing WHEN things will be added to the beta, but he doesn't imply that there are things that won't get included.

A case in point is the lack of the intersection panel. Well, the new CTRL+Click on tags or saved searches is going to be a much cooler way of implementing that functionality. It's too bad that, on their first attempt, they lost us our ability to union multiple tags, but I'll bet they won't overlook that in the final release.

Anyways, while I'm sure we each have our "deal breaker" features that we think should have been the FIRST thing included in the beta, I'm also sure that the Evernote team is going to do every bit as good a job on Version 3 as they did with Version 2.x

I see that a lot of us 2.2 lovers have been getting worried about whether we're going to lose those features that really elevate Evernote above any other program choices we might make. I think we're probably getting a bit too pessimistic a bit too early.

Phil said in his "What's it all about" topic

First of all, it's an early beta. Many features are still not implemented and will be added in the next couple of months. In addition to the many new capabilities, all of the "core" 2.2 functionality will be present in Evernote 3. Some of the features will make the transition completely untouched and some will be conceptually different and hopefully more powerful.

And he said that just a month ago (Feb.)

Now, maybe what he means by "core functionality" is open to question, but I feel he made a pretty clear promise that EVERYTHING we've grown used to will wind up in version 3, and some of it will be made even more powerful and easy to use. Later in his post he says it's a matter of prioritizing WHEN things will be added to the beta, but he doesn't imply that there are things that won't get included.

A case in point is the lack of the intersection panel. Well, the new CTRL+Click on tags or saved searches is going to be a much cooler way of implementing that functionality. It's too bad that, on their first attempt, they lost us our ability to union multiple tags, but I'll bet they won't overlook that in the final release.

Anyways, while I'm sure we each have our "deal breaker" features that we think should have been the FIRST thing included in the beta, I'm also sure that the Evernote team is going to do every bit as good a job on Version 3 as they did with Version 2.x

It's always good to hear from you optimists. Are you also a betting man? 8)

Archived