Evernote Crashes - PC Windows 7 Ultimate & EN-v5.8.1.6061

smtheus

Evernote closes when I am sorting/organizing notes in notebooks and tags. I can save maybe 2 or 3 notes and then the program closes.  it is quite frustrating.  Any ideas on what I can do to fix this???

• Level 5*

Since you are running Ver 5.8.1, I would think the most obvious fix would be to update to the latest version, EN Win 5.8.8.

However, Ver 5.8.8 has its own set of issues, so proceed carefully.

You might want backup the EN Win database, and export all Local Notebooks to ENEX prior to the update.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue, and I am running 5.8.8.7837 on Win 7 Enterprise. I've noticed that these freezes/crashes happen most often when I am adding tags to a note I've just created by using the Evernote Plugin for Outlook. Evernote will operate stably for a certain amount of time, and then once the first lockup happens, as the person above notes, I can only get through one or two notes before repeat lockups occur. Sometimes rebooting (temporarily) fixes the issue, sometimes it doesn't.

I've also observed that when the freezes occur, upon reopening Evernote, the note I'd just created is there, just without the last tag I'd been in the process of adding when the crash happened. Everything prior to that is there.

Besides the annoyance, I'm searching for a fix because later this week, I'm demonstrating Evernote for my fellow employees at my engineering firm. I rely on it extensively for work, and management has decided my workflow would be a helpful example to junior staff. However, it will look a bit foolish if the program crashes every other time I try to demonstrate creating and tagging a note.

I'd considered uninstalling the application and then reinstalling, but I've read in other threads that this didn't solve the issue (I'll still probably try it). I also have no similar issues on iOS or OSX. Looking for any guidance, especially whether there is anything I should back up (and how to do it) before I remove it from this machine. I'm of the understanding that if I sync, removing Evernote from my local system shouldn't affect anything on the server.

Since you are running Ver 5.8.1, I would think the most obvious fix would be to update to the latest version, EN Win 5.8.8.

However, Ver 5.8.8 has its own set of issues, so proceed carefully.

You might want backup the EN Win database, and export all Local Notebooks to ENEX prior to the update.

How does one backup the local EN Win database? Is it simply a matter of copying the Evernote directory that resides in the Program Files folder to an external source, or is there a specific lower-level file/directory to back up instead?

• Level 5*

How does one backup the local EN Win database? Is it simply a matter of copying the Evernote directory that resides in the Program Files folder to an external source, or is there a specific lower-level file/directory to back up instead?

See Backing up and restoring your data in Evernote for Windows

If you choose to backup the Evernote data directly, the data that must be backed up lives in the 

C:\Users\[PC Name]\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases directory, 

so you'll want to make sure it's included in your backups

Archived