[REQUEST] 4 Simple Organisation Features.

Daniel Shepherd

Idea

I love Evernote, use it daily and it's the heartbeat of my business and life.

But there are just so many simple features missing from the desktop app that would be simple to implement and would make life so much easier.

1. Choosing your own thumbnail image! Guys - there's a thread where people have been asking for this for 4 years!! How hard would it be to add a "right click -> set as thumbnail" option really?

And now - some stuff from Apple Mail.

2. Colour notes - just let us set the colour of notes in the list view so we can spot certain types of notes visually a lot easier.

3. Flag notes - again, like setting the background colour but another option and simple to implement, but also the ability to click flag colours to display all notes across notebooks with that colour flag...a visual, simple, wordless tag.

4. Ability to pin notes to the top of a notebook - all this time, newest edits make notes jump to the top. Surely it would be really easy to add the option to allow us to pin notes to the top, So we could have reusable to-do lists, or important topics always at the top, and anything underneath continues to reorder with most recently edited first.

Those four features would honestly make Evernote perfect for me, id never need another update again!

3 replies to this idea

Hi Daniel, I am curious, what kind of thumbnails do you mean? Is it the thumbnail in the list of notes. Here I place a not too big image at first in the note and it will be chosen as the thumbnail. Works for me perfectly.

With the colours I agree… sort of. From time to time I (have to) look into MS OneNote and with its colours it appears to me like a playground sometimes. But have the option would be nice anyway.

The Flagging I do handle with the tags completely. It is much more powerful than "just" flags (I have 200+ tags).

Regarding the ability to pin notebooks, this works automatically with the recent notes. If you use them frequently they remain in the "recent" list. Or alternatively you can make a short cut. Works as well.

Just my thoughts…

Frank

Hi Daniel, I am curious, what kind of thumbnails do you mean? Is it the thumbnail in the list of notes. Here I place a not too big image at first in the note and it will be chosen as the thumbnail. Works for me perfectly.

Doesn't work like that at all - there is a huge thread dating back years of this and the automatic algo Evernote employs of picking the "largest smallest" side of an image as the thumbnail, is pretty much useless for me, its never an image I want - it should be trivial to just right click on image and chose "set as thumbnail" then i can use an imagine which is actually useful to my sales log.

With the colours I agree… sort of. From time to time I (have to) look into MS OneNote and with its colours it appears to me like a playground sometimes. 

Don't use multiple primary colours then? Use tasteful subtle gradients?

The Flagging I do handle with the tags completely. It is much more powerful than "just" flags (I have 200+ tags).

But flagging and tags are not remotely similar. I want to use flags as a VISUAL indicator. Its visually that Evernote is severely lacking and from a design UI point of view is a clutter mess of look a like text - they could take huge inspiration from how OS X Mail looks. The coloured flags would appear before the title in a note - this way you'd see it quickly when scrolling your notes. The way I achieve this now is to use Emoji's to make things stand out. But to have it work like flags in OS X AND have the more advanced word based tags and filtering would be best (not that I ever use word based tags mind...seems pointless when search looks through your entire notes anyway...effectively every word is a tag, just type it into the search bar, so I don't use them at all)

Regarding the ability to pin notebooks, this works automatically with the recent notes. If you use them frequently they remain in the "recent" list. Or alternatively you can make a short cut. Works as well.

But thats not ideal is it. If you CHANGE the note it appears at the top, what if you're actively working on 8-10 notes in a shared notebook, it would be much more simple to pin the to-do note to the top of the list then let the other notes that are edited arranged themselves automatically below as they are changed, its just a much better way of working and once again, no one is forcing you to use it - in some note books just having the most recent changes at the top is ideal. In other note books it'd be better to be able to manually sort them (THERE ISN'T EVEN A MANUAL SORT OPTION!!)

Archived