Can't open Evernote.app because it my be damaged or incomplete.

Jon Ivan

Idea

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

While this has not happened on any of my Macs running EN Mac 6.0.6 on Mavericks, I have seen this issue reported a number of times.  There seems to be something specific to the configuration of the Mac for a few users that is triggering this bug.

Thus, you will need Evernote's direct help/support to resolve.

For your benefit, as well as others experiencing this bug, please Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

The only possible help I can offer is to do a clean reinstall of EN Mac DirectDL, if you have not done so already.  

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

As far as I can tell, this seems to happen every time I shut my computer down while Evernote is still running and there is an update to be installed.  It seems like Evernote is closed as part of the normal shutdown process, thus triggering the update software, but then the shutdown process closes the update software, and the install is incomplete.  Jon, have you found it happening in similar situations? 

• Level 5*

Evernote's SoftwareMarcus has acknowledged that they had a bug in the Update Installer that can cause this type of problem.

He claims to have this bug fixed in the latest Beta, EN Mac 6.0.9 Beta 1.

In the meantime, usually a simple reinstall of just the Evernote app will fix the issue:

(this should NOT impact any of your Notes, but if you want to be ultra cautious, you might export to ENEX all Local Notebooks)

1. Quit Evernote app and EN Helper in the menu.
  2. Drag the Evernote app to the Mac Trash, and permanently delete.
  3. Restart your Mac
  4. Download the latest ver (6.0.8 as of this writing) from Evernote.com
    (or Download the ver you were using from the EN Mac release thread in these forums)
  5. Install the ver you just downloaded

Archived