Deleting a note from within the text editor

Kneedeepat

Idea

So I'm a huge fan of keyboard shortcuts in my workflows. I use a modified GTD system in EN, with an "inbox" for all of the stuff I need to process.

However, I am unable to stay on the keyboard completely and have to use the mouse. Specifically, if my cursor is blinking in the text, title, or tags sections, the delete key applies in those sections, and deletes the text / tags I'm working with, rather than deleting the note itself. So I still need to mouseover to the delete trashcan, click it, and then select the next note to either tag and file or delete.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to delete a note with a keyboard shortcut while using the text editor?

Secondly, and not really proper venue because its a web clipper complaint, I feel the need to vent: you can't web clip any more using just the keyboard. It requires both keyboard and mouse clicks.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

4 replies to this idea

John,

Thanks for that. You are correct - that does work, but to my knowledge there is no way to change / adjust anything. For example, if I don't like the notebook, I am unable to tab to notebook, type, select the new notebook and continue the process. Once you open the title, notebook, tag window, I thus far have not been able to figure out a way to save it. Hitting return won't do it for me... any thoughts?

I know this has been said many times, but I still miss the old clipper: I could tab all the way through the process, stopping to customize where I wanted to, and continue all the way to save, without ever touching the mouse.

You're right.  I miss that aspect of the old Web Clipper too.  I work around it these days by clipping everything to a notebook called "Clips".  I started working around it by clipping to "Inbox", but my workflow changed a bit.

If you're on a Mac you could hack the lack of a keyboard shortcut to delete the currently selected note (even if you're in the text editor) by creating an Automator Service for Evernote with the following AppleScript:

tell application "Evernote"	set noteList to selection	repeat with n in noteList		delete n	end repeatend tell

Once you've created the Automator service you can go to System Preference > Keyboard and, on the second tab, create a keyboard shortcut for the Automator service.

Oddly you'll see a window pane flash open in the Note editor that would probably give you the power to do exactly what you need, but I don't know any way to properly open that secret panel.  You'll see what I mean.

Archived