(Archived) PDF Search capability

Hi

I currently use the free version of Evernote which I find fantastic.

I am thinking of upgrading to premium however I am confused on one point.

The premium version states that it offers searching inside PDF documents.

If I search for a word in the free version it searches through my pdf's and highlights the word.

The only thing it doesn't do is take me to the page.

As this is the case what does the premium version do that is different, ie when searching does it take you to the exact word on the right page etc.

Cheers

• Level 5*

when searching does it take you to the exact word on the right page etc.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

The answer is "yes." This can be a big help in a huge PDF. Premium will also OCR your PDFs so that they will become searchable (assuming you haven't done that already).

Thanks but that's what I don't get, it is searchable already. Ie if I search for a word it will locate the PDF and highlight the word although it only takes me to the front page.

When I scroll through the PDF I then will eventually find the highlighted word.

Is confusing :-)

• Level 5*

Thanks but that's what I don't get, it is searchable already. Ie if I search for a word it will locate the PDF and highlight the word although it only takes me to the front page.

When I scroll through the PDF I then will eventually find the highlighted word.

Is confusing :-)

Sorry. I don't know any more than this. All I can say is that the search jumps right to the page I want when using Premium. In the past, maybe the Free accounts didn't have search. It has been a long time since I tested this. Personally, I think Evernote's website has never been very clear about what the differences are among the three tiers. I've written about the limits of each here if this will help you decide about Premium. However, I don't really know the specifics about the PDFs.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

I think I will torture some poor soul in Customer Service with a question: "Could you tell me all the differences among the three user tiers: Free, Premium, and Business?" Hahaha! It might take them a few days to answer that one sentence :)

• Level 5*

Ok thanks heaps mate, is appreciated :-)

I tortured one of the Customer Service folks and extracted this information out of them: searching = OCR. In other words, if you have a PDF that already has text in it (A Word document converted to PDF, for example) then you can search through it using any type of account. If you have a PDF with images in it (scanned papers, for example), then only Premium and Business users can search through the PDF. This is how it has been for many years now, but I feel like the language has changed, and that is where I was confused.

By the way, this info comes from "Zuber" at Evernote. One other benefit of Premium is that you have access to the chat service and can get helpful, friendly service right away.

• Level 5*

Thanks again. So in premium say if I had 50 PDF docs that had say 100 pages each if I search for a word will that take me to the exact page the word is on, within the correct PDF?

Yes. Please note, though, that there are some restrictions on documents that get OCR'd (see my limits page), and a PDF will not be OCR'd by Evernote if it is over 100 pages. Of course, as I recommend, if you OCR yourself, then it is all searchable (as it appears your PDFs are); you can have 300 pages in each of those and it will jump to the term. That's convenient, in my opinion.

Archived