(Archived) Unable to install Web Clipper in Firefox. instal in

BaldEagle

I have been using web clipper for quite a while in my Firefox.
However yesterday I had some problems after installing another add-on, DISCONNECT.ME, and found some odd issues with my YouTube and Google pages. Eevntually I decided to "RESET" my Firefox using the option in Troubleshooting Information.

I then spent a few happy hours reloading all my add-ons etc.
Everything now works fine, except Evernote Web Clipper.

When I try to install it I get:
Evernote web clipper cannot be installed because
FireFox cannot modify the needed file.

post-85540-0-31781200-1366188392_thumb.j

post-85540-0-69179600-1366188409_thumb.j
CLEARLY however works fine?
But I would prefer my old web clipper - any ideas?

XP Pro V2002 SP3
Firefox 20.0.1
I’ve tried to install web clipper from the Evernote web page and from Firefox add-ons.

HELP

SORTED IT.

I tried to run firefox.exe –p from the command line but that tried to start my NIGHTLY build.

post-85540-0-73300800-1366228316_thumb.j      

So I edited the Firefox shortcut on my desktop and added –P to the end of TARGET.

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P

Then double click on that shortcut to open,this time I see Start Firefox.

post-85540-0-24240900-1366228332_thumb.j

Click on create Profile and gave it a SHORT name Default1 as shown (my default was missing).

I then opened up C:\Documents and Settings\Tony.TONY-SR1619\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

post-85540-0-34104100-1366228341_thumb.j

Opened the new Default1 and deleted everything inside.

Opened my current profile xcgtt1sk.default-1366046053609, created by the Firefox  reset earlier.

Select everything (CTRL+A) and the COPY, go back to the empty 148xkp9g.Default1 and PASTE.

I then removed the extra –P from the end of my Firefox shortcut and reopened Firefox.

I opened the Help > Troubleshooting Information > Show Folder
which confirmed that I was using the new Firefox\Profiles\148xkp9g.Default1 folder.

I was now FINALLY able to install Evernote Web Clipper (and everything else looks OK).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm glad you sorted it.  However, I was totally confused by your answer (I'm not all that computer-savvy).  Could Evernote not provide me with something which works (and easily), please?

I *love* Web Clipper - at least I loved it when it worked.

• 3 months later...

Here is a reformatted version of tbruneti's workaround:

1.) Edit the Firefox shortcut on your desktop and add –P to the end of the TARGET.
     Example: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P

2.) Then click on that shortcut to open, this time you should see Start Firefox.

3.) Click on create Profile and give it a SHORT name Default1.

4.) Then open up C:\Documents and Settings\user.USER-SR1619\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
     NOTE: the "user" should show your specific username. The above is a generic example.

5.) Open the new Default1 and delete everything inside.

6.) Open the current profile xcgtt1sk.default-1366046053609--created by the Firefox reset earlier.

7.) Select everything (CTRL+A) and then copy (CTRL+P) it, go back to the empty 148xkp9g.Default1 and paste (CTRL+V) it.

8.) Remove the extra –P from the end of the Firefox shortcut and reopen Firefox.

9.) Open the Help > Troubleshooting Information > Show Folder which should confirm that that the new Firefox\Profiles\148xkp9g.Default1 folder is being used.

Should now be able to install Evernote Web Clipper.

We are fairly certain this problem is caused by the Firefox profile being corrupted when updating from version X to version Y.

Here's a bit shorter workaround to try:

In order to manually remove the traces of the previous Web Clipper user should:
1. Type about:support in address bar
2. Click "Show Folder" button in Profile Folder row
3. Navigate to "extensions" directory
4. Close Firefox
5. Remove "{E0B8C461-F8FB-49b4-8373-FE32E9252800}" directory

After that he should install the new version from 
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/?src=ss

Let me know if that helps. 

This can be corrected by taking the extension files from a working computer and copying them to the same directory on the other.

If you don't have the files I can send them, but it is a large directory.

You should not have to do anything but copy and paste and follow the prompts.

Archived