(Archived) Webclipper becoming too intrusive

mehuge

Recent updates of webclipper are becoming too intrusive, most recently web clipper has started storing stuff in localStorage, for example options, presumably without a care for what it might clobber, good job my web application decided to include some namespace convention when storing its options into local storage.

Also evernote injecting clearly html into every page you visit even if your not going to click evernote, I don't understand this, why can't it inject at the point you click the evernote icon?

Close to uninstalling evernote webclipper, which is a shame because I use it a lot.

This is a very dangerous change! We are developing a solution were we are using local storage for our domain, saving information for our javascript based application. Having Web clipper installed, all this was continously deleted when having web clipper installed in Chrome! I asume some kind of update was distributed today, I have had Web clipper installed for some time, but until today I have had no problems.

This resulted in an immidiate uninstall for me. Right now, I am mostly worried about customers running Evernote Web Clipper and ANY solution (like ours) using local storage. Everything is deleted! Replaced with two EVERNOTE-records.

Recent updates of webclipper are becoming too intrusive, most recently web clipper has started storing stuff in localStorage, for example options, presumably without a care for what it might clobber, good job my web application decided to include some namespace convention when storing its options into local storage.

This is a bug. I will fix it today and it will go out in the next version.

Also evernote injecting clearly html into every page you visit even if your not going to click evernote, I don't understand this, why can't it inject at the point you click the evernote icon?

This is intentional, but it bothers more people than we thought would notice. I will try and remove that for the next version as well.

Here's a beta Chrome Clipper that should address both the localStorage and the Clearly HTML injection issue:

http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/chrome/chrome-ext-c8198b4.crx

Please uninstall your existing Chrome Clipper and install this beta. Please let me know if you continue to see any issues, or if any new issues have been caused by this fix.

Thanks for your patience.

Note: To get an auto-updating clipper in the future, you will need to uninstall this beta and install the clipper from the Chrome Web Store again.

This is a very dangerous change! We are developing a solution were we are using local storage for our domain, saving information for our javascript based application. Having Web clipper installed, all this was continously deleted when having web clipper installed in Chrome! I asume some kind of update was distributed today, I have had Web clipper installed for some time, but until today I have had no problems.

This resulted in an immidiate uninstall for me. Right now, I am mostly worried about customers running Evernote Web Clipper and ANY solution (like ours) using local storage. Everything is deleted! Replaced with two EVERNOTE-records.

I had not noticed the clipper deleting everything because when I looked in local storage I would see the clippers entries + my own.

But now you mention it, I did have some issues where my application appeared to be loosing all its information - I assumed this was a bug in my application. I never got to the bottom of it, and the problem went away. Perhaps it was the web clipper all along.

Anyway lets hope the changes to the beta version posted above resolve these issues.

Archived