Copying Only Highlighted Text in PDF and Assigning Tag

I read a lot of technical journal papers as PDF files. I use Acrobat 8.0's highlighint feature to highlight it, which copies the text to a sticky note. It would be great if Evernote had some way of extracting just the highlighted text, and allowiing me to assign tags. and somehow note the source.

What I have done over the years is I created an electronic index card software in Microsoft Access. I enter the text into the database, and assign it tags. As journal articles became more electronic, I was able to copy the text from the clipboard into my Access database. I then paid someone to write a Javascript for me that copies all the stickies into a text file; I add the tags with some symbols as I highlight. I then wrote a macro in Word that takes the text file, formats it into a table, and then I can straight copy that table into Access so the text and all the tags copies. Rather than having to do all this, it would be great if Evernote could, so I'd have a way of extracting the best text in the hundreds of journal articles I read.

• 2 years later...

There is a really simple yet robust tool for extracting highlights and notes from your pdf-files available at: http://www.sumnotes.net . Not only it supports various advanced features like selective extraction or predictive extraction, but it also allows you to save extracted highlights into TXT or DOC files. All desktop browsers and operating systems are supported. We are in cloud, so no installation is needed. And yes, it is for free. Try it out.

• 1 year later...
www.pdfhighlights.com extracts all your highlights and annotations from multiple PDFs into a single report from which you can click through to the PDF containing each annotation.

If you sync your tablet/ipad with your desktop using something like dropbox, then all your ipad pdf annotations will be reportable from your desktop.
  • 2 years later...

I tried the Sumnotes website - it's free for the a ltd. use, but a generous limit. Worked well. I have no other experience w/ it, so I do not know all its tricks --  in my test file, i hilited & underlined & added text to a Preview file... The noted text imported easily to a new EN note. - but there is nothing that distinguishes which text was hilited vs. underlined. The text I added did not show up.

This is still not bad, espec. for free!  The full access is reasonably priced.

With this program, you get the abstracted text that you noted in yr pdf -- but to find the context, meaning: where that text sits in the pdf, you will have to refer back to the pdf file (that you presumably have saved on yr computer documents). Still, i see real uses for this program. Thank you, SUMNOTES. :-)

Archived