Mark M had the answer - thank you, and Yay! I've been using EN since 2010, and have accumulated about 10,000 notes and an 8GB enex database file, and I have noticed the lagging getting worse and worse and worse, to the point that I was on the forums this morning looking for a fix before probably abandoning EN - it's simply not a solution if it's not available to type when I have something that needs to be typed.. Anyway, I don't have an SSD drive, but my system has plenty of power, and I've never heard of nor seen an option for optimizing the database, so I figured I would try it. (One tip, the run command has a "space" in between the .exe and the / : "Evernote.exe /DebugMenu") Also, be prepared to wait awhile. The optimization process took about 5 hours to complete. But it's worth every minute - Evernote's running like new again - so much so that I felt compelled to post a note here. Thank you, forum users. You've helped me many times over the years, and today was no exception.