Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I've been having this problem since May. Working with the EN support team over various support tickets, the problem has been resolved on a couple instance, only to re-emerge several weeks later. I've now been told from a couple different support team members over the last couple weeks that the issue has been submitted to the design team for a potential fix. No other remedies are being offered. I've been coached on the various fixes that have been listed on this thread. Based on the fact that this problem looks to be pervasive for many users over the course of several months, I'm not entirely optimistic that Evernote is going to be able to fix the problem, in a way that is sustainable over time. I've learned a valuable lesson here, and won't be relying on Evernote nearly as much as I have in the past. For all of the conveniences that it offers, those are all meaningless if the main vehicle to access those tools (I find EN web clunky, slow, and frustrating) is frequently unavailable.