save yourself the headache - downgrade to v5.xx, v6.xx a catastrophe!

bodhi

pulling your hair out?

if you have "up"graded to v6.xx you know what I am referring to. I have been a steady user of penultimate for 2 years. I have many notebooks containing roughly 600 pages or work.  a couple days ago I STUPIDLY "up"graded from v5.xx to v6.xx without reading user reviews. what a mistake!  if you are a v5.xx user, DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER UPGRADING!

V6.xx might as well be an altogether different program. it is far from release ready. after numerous emails and chats with varying (increasing) levels of "tech support" it became readily apparent the program is a complete non-functional flop. tech support appears to be a bunch of kids reading (writing) "sympathetic and enthusiasic "we're gonna help you out"" scripts.  don't waste your time - as that is what you will be doing with tech support. needed fixes and solutions do not exist. publisher should re release v5.xx, but for some reason hasn't and will not.  tech support will not talk you thru "down"grading back to v5.xx

after wasting an entire day, here is what i did - to complete success!

i'm no techie so all is in layman's terms

1- HELD DOWN Penultimate icon in my iPad until it blinked

2- DELETED program by pressing little x

3- CONFIRMED intent to DELETE

4- SHUT OFF/POWERED OFF iPad

5- POWERED ON iPad

6- CONNECTED iPad to MacBook

7- OPENED iTunes

8- IMMEDIATELY STOPPED/CANCELLED SYNCH

9- RECONFIGURED SYNCH to do NOTHING

10- DRAGGED Penultimate v5.xx ICON from phone/iOS APPS to my iPad CONNECTION shown on left (you have to have an old version of Penultimate in iTunes to do this)

11- iTunes then installed v5.xx onto my iPad 

12- DISCONNECTED iPad from MacBook

13- OPENED Penultimate v5.xx on my iPad

14- DOWNLOADED all my .PEN Penultimate files from DropBox ( you need to have a copy of your .PEN files in DropBox or EverNote or somewhere to do this restore)

15- REJOICED!!!!! FULLY FUNCTIONAL PENULTIMATE V5.XX WITH ALL MY FILES READY OR USE - MINUS 1 DAY OF MY TIME

if you don't have a v5.xx in iTunes and a copy of your data in EverNote or DropBox or some other BackUp, I would just abandon Penultimate and migrate to NoteShelf. I think it is just a matter of time until Apple includes all the functionality of Penultimate and NoteShelf into "Pages". If and when that happens, that will be the clear choice.

hope this helps you out or at least sheds some light onto any Penultimate upgrade emergency you may be having - or better yet, catches you before you upgrade

Archived