(Archived) Inserting an Evernote internal link into Google Docs file?

• Level 5*

Does anyone know if it is possible to insert an Evernote note link (internal link, not shared public link) into a Google Doc spreadsheet and have it be live?

Their syntax is =hyperlink("www.google.com","Click here")

THat will put "click here" in a cell and it will be blue and underlined and clickable.

If I put =hyperlink("evernote:///view/234q12l4123412341234....","Click Here") in the cell (obviously I faked that link, but the evernote:///view/ part is how EN links start) I just get a "click here" in the cell with no clickability and it isn't blue or underlined.

So, is there any way to make it work?

For what it is worth, if I take the full link and put it in Chrome's URL bar, it opens the local note just fine, so I know the browser can handle it.

• 4 months later...

I've been looking to do pretty much the same thing, but I just asked on their premium user chat support and was told it cannot be done. As you've already found out, Google spreadsheet doesn't like the "evernote:" suffix in the first argument to HYPERLINK(). But I'm confused as to how you're even getting Chrome to accept the link. Maybe you have a plugin I don't. Regardless, for the time being, the answer to the question, "Can I create a externally accessible URL to an EN note, but one that is accessible only by an EN user authorized to see that note?", is no.

FWIW, as I've been browsing for precisely this functionality, I came across some possible approaches in Zapier and PowerBotApps. And of course there's always If This Then That. I haven't gone into enough detail to see if any of them would actually do the job, but they may be worth a look.

i seem to have just plain evernote links in many of my spreadsheets that work. 

not sure if its because of an extention i have or what but if its just a matter of putting a link in a cell normally and having it work i do it all the time. 

@deevernote,

Which link format do you use? Is it the internal Evernote style; i.e. the one you get from "Copy Note Link"?

Also, which spreadsheet? Excel, Numbers, Open/LibreOffice, etc? Or is it Google's, in which case which browser do you use?

• Level 5*

i seem to have just plain evernote links in many of my spreadsheets that work. 

not sure if its because of an extention i have or what but if its just a matter of putting a link in a cell normally and having it work i do it all the time. 

That works great in Excel and Office documents. I've even turned off the alert Excel gives so it doesn't warn me it is an external program, but it does nothing for Gdocs. I've not found a way to make it work.

@EdH,

Which OS are you on -- Windows or OS X (Mac)? I tried entering each of the following into a cell in Excel on my Mac:

evernote:///bla...

=HYPERLINK("evernote://bla...","foo")

(where "bla..." is obviously the rest of the actual Evernote link) but neither work. The first just sits there as an unclickable string. The second displays as "foo", as a clickable hyperlink, but when I click on it I get a "Cannot open the specified file" error.

• Level 5*

Windows. I just press "CTRL-K", enter the hyperlink that comes from Evernote's "Note link" (not Shared URL), and press OK. Works every time. I do nothing to the URL.

I don't use the hyperlink function.

Archived