(Archived) Time Machine Backups and Mountain Lion

GrumpyMonkey

Idea

• Level 5*

I admit that I am a little more paranoid about my data than most people, but I guess that is because I have a lot of things that are basically irreplaceable, and now that I have gone paperless, there is no file cabinet in the basement full of old papers to give me (an often false) sense of security.

If you aren't backing up your data with Time Machine yet, maybe now is the time to start doing it. Portable 1TB drives are relatively inexpensive and can be found for about $100, most drives have USB 3.0 (for fast transfers), and some (a little more expensive) have blazingly fast Thunderbolt.

Mountain Lion gives you the option to use multiple drives (without replacing one with the other, as we had to do in the past) so you can rotate your media and more easily protect your data (keep one at home with your computer and one in your office, rotating them every week so that even in the event of fire/flood/theft your data is secure). I do this on a daily basis, so even in a worst-case scenario (the loss of my home or office to an alien invasion like in the War of the Worlds) I won't lose a thing.

Of course, Evernote keeps all of your data safe and sound in their servers on the cloud. However, I like the peace of mind I get from having my important data backed up in multiple locations and close at hand (of course, this includes things that aren't yet in Evernote as well). Even if I do something boneheaded like delete an attachment to a note, I know I can just go into my Time Machine backup for yesterday and get it right back. Evernote keeps note histories, but these only occur every eight hours, so Time Machine ensures that you won't get caught in-between the saves, especially if you don't have a data connection, or haven't yet synced.

So, if you are still unsure about upgrading to ML, this might give you extra incentive :)

0 replies to this idea

There have been no replies to this idea yet

Archived