(Archived) How to Fix Firefox Spellcheck

• Level 5*

Some time ago I noticed that spell checking in these forums was not working any more.

I'm running EN Mac 3.0.6, Mac OSX Lion 10.7.3, and FF 9.0.1.

I have found the fix:

REF: IPBoard - Firefox Spellcheck Fix

Forum Users:

Ever since AVSIM (*and many other sites who use IPBoard) switched to this new version of the forum software, I had lost the squiggly red-underline spellchecking feature which Firefox has so faithfully provided. Other browsers seemingly had no issues, but something went bad for Firefox users after IPBoard got updated.

Here's a fix which worked for me, and might work for you if you have the same issue.

• Start by opening any forum, and either "Start A New Topic" or "Reply to an Existing Topic" as if you wished to actually post.
  • Type any word in the body of your message... preferably a misspelled word. :)
  • RIGHT CLICK on that word, and from the popup menu select the "Languages >" flyout at the bottom.
  • Select the language you wish to use - probably English.

Confirm your selection by right clicking on a word again, going to the Language menu, and verify that there is now a bullet/dot next to the language you selected. A bullet/dot means that dictionary language is selected.

Voila!

If all went according to plan, you should now have browser-based spell checking back in service for these text boxes.

NOTE
: This seems to be a site-by-site adjustment. I made this adjustment here on AVSIM and it has survived browser shutdowns and reloads, as well as new post, edits, and replies, but it does NOT apply itself to
other websites
using IPBoard. It would appear that you will have to make this quick adjustment at all IPBoard sites you may frequent, as it is not persistent across sites.

Archived