Possible to list by tag and then date (ascending)?

I track support tickets for my work with EN. I tag them by priority and I want them to be listed by date (oldest at the top). It looks like if I click the "Created" column and then the "Tags" column, that it will put them in the desired order. How can I make it so that I can just go to the notebook and they'll be listed this way by default? Or is there a Saved Search that I can use for that? I'm using a Basic account. Do I need Plus/Premium to do this?

Just to recap, I want them listed by tag (1-High, 2-Medium, 3-Low) and then each of those listed by date with the oldest on top.

Thanks!

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, dismas42 said:

I want them listed by tag (1-High, 2-Medium, 3-Low) and then each of those listed by date with the oldest on top.

How about 3 saved searches: High, Medium, Low then apply the sort sequence

You can put the searches into the shortcut area for quick access

Expanding on your requirements

- Are you using a tag or notebook to identify support tickets.  You'll have to add that to the search criteria.

- You'll want to indicate completed tickets.  A tag or checkbox.  Another addition to the search criteria.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, dismas42 said:

I track support tickets for my work with EN. I tag them by priority and I want them to be listed by date (oldest at the top). It looks like if I click the "Created" column and then the "Tags" column, that it will put them in the desired order. How can I make it so that I can just go to the notebook and they'll be listed this way by default? Or is there a Saved Search that I can use for that? I'm using a Basic account. Do I need Plus/Premium to do this?

Just to recap, I want them listed by tag (1-High, 2-Medium, 3-Low) and then each of those listed by date with the oldest on top.

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend it necessarily, but you can force fit this by creating tags !1-High, !2-Medium, and !3-Low for priority and then add a tag %yyyymmdd for date to each note.  This assumes no ! or % tags other than these.  ! and % will sort to the front of the tags in a tag sort. 

Then a search for tag:!* and an ascending sort by tag will get you the list you want.  Downside is adding the %date tag and tag cleanup (you will want to either delete the date tags after use or move them to a parent tag to keep the tag list view-able, if you use it).  FWIW.  Multi column sort would definitely be easier, but until then....

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Trying2BGeek said:

When I do a general search against notebooks all sorts of irrelevant notebooks come to the top of the sort whereas some with actual Search Term are mixed in or af the bottom.  Can I adjust this to sort on Title of Notes within all notebooks as the first sort order?

Not clear about the "irrelevant" comment, but "Sort on Title" is an option.  I use it for most of my defined searches

You only get one sort option; there is no first sort order.  

• Level 5*

When I do a general search against notebooks all sorts of irrelevant notebooks come to the top of the sort whereas some with actual Search Term are mixed in or af the bottom.

Not sure what this means. Could you please be more specific? What is a "general search against notebooks"?

Can I adjust this to sort on Title of Notes within all notebooks as the first sort order?

You can certainly set the sort on all notebooks to be by note title. Click on "Notebooks" in the left pane, and then click on the View dropdown button to the left of the search entry edit control. Select "Sort notes by" / "Title"

17 hours ago, jefito said:

Saved searches can now save sorting order in the Windows client, but it cannot save the two-way sort that you desire, in any account type.

Arg. Okay, thanks.

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

How about 3 saved searches: High, Medium, Low then apply the sort sequence

You can put the searches into the shortcut area for quick access

Expanding on your requirements

- Are you using a tag or notebook to identify support tickets.  You'll have to add that to the search criteria.

- You'll want to indicate completed tickets.  A tag or checkbox.  Another addition to the search criteria.

Not the most elegant solution (what with having three searches instead of one) but may work well. Thanks.

And yes, I put all my tickets into an Action Pending notebook. I don't have many side projects, so most everything in there is a support ticket. I also tag them as support tickets.

Completed tickets go into a completed notebook and therefore won't be a concern for this search.

4 hours ago, csihilling said:

I wouldn't recommend it necessarily, but you can force fit this by creating tags !1-High, !2-Medium, and !3-Low for priority and then add a tag %yyyymmdd for date to each note.  This assumes no ! or % tags other than these.  ! and % will sort to the front of the tags in a tag sort. 

Then a search for tag:!* and an ascending sort by tag will get you the list you want.  Downside is adding the %date tag and tag cleanup (you will want to either delete the date tags after use or move them to a parent tag to keep the tag list view-able, if you use it).  FWIW.  Multi column sort would definitely be easier, but until then....

I already tag them 1-Now, 2-Soon, etc. The date tags do seem like a lot of janitorial work every so often to clean up tags. And the fact that I'd need to make a new one every day. But may be workable. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Trying2BGeek said:

When I do a general search against notebooks all sorts of irrelevant notebooks come to the top of the sort whereas some with actual Search Term are mixed in or af the bottom.  Can I adjust this to sort on Title of Notes within all notebooks as the first sort order?

I have no idea how this answers my question.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, dismas42 said:

I already tag them 1-Now, 2-Soon, etc. The date tags do seem like a lot of janitorial work every so often to clean up tags. And the fact that I'd need to make a new one every day. But may be workable. Thanks.

You are welcome.  It's only 365 tags a year.  ;)

FYI, easy way to delete a group of tags, particularly if you can mass select like in this case, is to drag the no longer needed tags to one of them creating a parent tag, and then delete that tag.  

Archived