lrainaldi

Native Markdown Support

Idea

One of the attractive qualities of Evernote is its one-stop-shopping, everything-under-one-roof nature.  Invoking external apps to accomplish specialized tasks is a sensible and necessary division of labor, but one of Evernote's primary tasks is formatting text.  Markdown is a highly efficient way to format text.  Including it as an intrinsic editing mode would allow many users to better maintain their productive flow state when capturing information in Evernote.  I think that's a good justification for its inclusion.

9 hours ago, notsofast said:

One of the attractive qualities of Evernote is its one-stop-shopping, everything-under-one-roof nature ...one of Evernote's primary tasks is formatting text.

I think you're misinformed about Evernote.  
For me, it's not "one-stop-shopping, everything-under-one-roof" ... primary tasks is formatting text.

Evernote does come with a free editor that's fine for basic notes; the underlying format is enml, an html fork.

>>Invoking external apps to accomplish specialized tasks is a sensible and necessary division of labor

External apps is my solution for implementing markup editing (mostly html); I use the Textastic app (supports Markdown)

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I think you're misinformed about Evernote.

Am I?  It lets you gather many disparate forms of information from a variety of sources so they can be organized, annotated, and searched in a unified manner.  It provides the same capabilities across multiple different platforms.  Users perform many different tasks in Evernote.

I believe versatility is one of Evernote's goals.  I believe another is efficiency.  I think Markdown addresses both of those goals, and would be an extremely effective input and formatting method for a certain class of users.

2 hours ago, notsofast said:

It lets you gather many disparate forms of information from a variety of sources so they can be organized,...

I agree with "gather many disparate forms of information from a variety of sources"

Notes can contain files of any format; pdf, image, office/iwork, ... including Markdown files

On 7/10/2018 at 3:43 PM, notsofast said:

I believe versatility is one of Evernote's goals.  I believe another is efficiency.  I think Markdown addresses both of those goals, and would be an extremely effective input and formatting method for a certain class of users.

I think that the crux is this: Evernote stores its notes in ENML, a superset of XHTML (see https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php). Providing a way to input Markdown source into Evernote is pretty straightforward at best guess; it's what Marxico does. But being able to pull Evernote ENML back into Mardown, so that you can round-trip between the two is a lot harder. And unsurprisingly, Marxico doesn't do this, at last check: from the Marxico page (https://marxi.co/) : "Currently Marxico is unable to detect and merge any modifications in Evernote by user. Please go back to Marxico to edit". 

So versatility is a fine goal, but I'd guess that cost of implementation dominates the calculation as to whether this gets done by Evernote or not.

54 minutes ago, jefito said:

being able to pull Evernote ENML back into Mar[k]down, so that you can round-trip between the two is a lot harder.

I understand and accept that.  There are formatting things you can do in Evernote that can't be captured in Markdown, so those things would get lost when going back to Markdown.

I think I would be pretty happy even without true round-trip editing.  I just find the Markdown style of input to be efficient.  So I have been delighted to discover some Markdown shortcuts that already work in the Evernote editor (7.2 on Mac):

• Typing "- <space>" or "* <space>" starts a bullet list
  • Typing "1. <space>" starts a numbered list
  • Typing "```<return>" creates a code block
  • Typing "- - - <space>" (three dashes followed by a space) creates a horizontal rule

If a few more Markdown-y things were added, I think I would be satisfied:

• "#", "##", ... header styling
  • Syntax coloring in code blocks
  • Inline code formatting with ` ... ` (text between two backquotes)
  • Don't convert "- -" (two consecutive dashes) to a single en-dash in a code block
  • "> " to start a block quote
  • Paste Markdown text into Evernote and have it be formatted following the Markdown rules

I finally found something that could partially help to solve the situation that there's no native support of markdown in Evernote. I personally love the UI and convenience for note-taking in Evernote, and have tried several other Markdown editors. However, I'm still waiting for evernote to publish their version of support of markdown.

Surprisingly, I finally find something online that could solve this situation. A software called Marxico, yes, it spells so much like Mexico, can be used to generate and view markdown code, and it can transfer the generated file as read-only mode or editable to Evernote. First of all, I'm not part of development team or any relationship to Marxico, I'm only a graduate student in US. So, I'm still trying this software, but it looks pretty nice so far. Although it's not recommended to transfer the editable file to evernote, I haven't found any bug yet; after all, you could write md code and edit it in Marxico and sync to evernote.

However, the only problem, well as a student, is the cost. Yes, it cost extra money for the software. But, I think the price is reasonable. I downloaded it today and check the price is around $16 for a year. Well, although I personally do not want to pay any penny on commercial software if other open source alternative is available, the features of Marxico is astonishing and filling the 'last' piece of Evernote.

If anyone have any other alternative component of evernote that provides capability of Markdown, I'm still open to suggestion.

e.g., I also like Bear for markdown, but as an engineering students, whose notes containing full of formulas, I don't know why bear does not even have the capability to write formulas!!!!

Before another premium level renewal or seeking another tool - I ask the community or the fine Evernote developers; "What is the state of the union on native Markdown support?" I'm testing several other tools including Bootsnote, Laverna and trying to get a workflow for using Sublime markdown (i love) but nothing is as convenient as Evernote on all my devices and this seems so logical considering all the other sharing and collab features I don't use that are wasted on Evernote trying to become a Slack.

2018-07-13_09-31-00markdown.jpg

5 hours ago, Dave333 said:

What is the state of the union on native Markdown support?

The "state" has never changed

• Evernote was Implemented with an enml/html format and has not indicated an interest in switching.
  • Notes can contain files of any format, including Markdown; an external editor is required.

Evernote has been experimenting with basic markup options in editing text.  This is a one way implementation and the code is converted to enml.

On 7/13/2018 at 11:44 AM, DTLow said:

The "state" has never changed

• Evernote was Implemented with an enml/html format and has not indicated an interest in switching.
  • Notes can contain files of any format, including Markdown; an external editor is required.

Evernote has been experimenting with basic markup options in editing text.  This is a one way implementation and the code is converted to enml.

Maybe I've missed something of value, is there any documentation anyone is aware of I could review?  I'm committed to getting some consistent formatting in my notes and would love to do text expand regions to fold in lots of deeper heirarchy reference notes while keeping top level outline visible.

13 hours ago, Dave333 said:

Maybe I've missed something of value, is there any documentation anyone is aware of I could review?  I'm committed to getting some consistent formatting in my notes and would love to do text expand regions to fold in lots of deeper heirarchy reference notes while keeping top level outline visible.

It seems your interest is beyond the Markdown feature request; you might want to create a new discussion

There's documentation at The Evernote Help Center

For consistent formatting, I use templates.
I'm also concerned with consistent tag assignment; I use scripting on my Mac.

The Evernote editor/format doesn't support text expand outlines.
Notes are independent entities, but can be cross referenced using links and notebook/tags.
You also have the option of using a word processing editor that supports these features.

1 hour ago, TungNguyen said:

I'm very unhappy with Evernote team. This key feature has been requested for years, you've been heard enough, you don't need more votes to start coding.

After years of being Evernote user, I've just cancelled my subscription and moved to Bear Pro. I vote with my money.

Good bye, Good Luck

"If you're not Evernote employee, no need to follow-up,
your answers are ignorant and give negative feeling about Evernote."

2 hours ago, coff said:

So I told Evernote „goodbye” after over 6 years! You guys wait and I use markdown already ;)

Sayings come to mind.  Cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Throwing out the baby with the bathwater

A great feature in Evernote is that I can use any editor  I choose.  Notes can contain files of any format.

If I wanted to use Markdown, I'd select an editor that supports it.

On 2018-04-28 at 7:59 AM, ssxtrix said:

the reason people are still paying is probably because they have 1000+ notes like myself and it is a pain to migrate.

The software is free, no users are paying for it.
The majority of users subscribe to the Basic account, which is also free.

I have over 10,000 notes.  It's a 30 minute process to export my data.

>>why are you always defending this....

I'm not into "Boohoo, Evernote's so bad" posts.  I'm more interested in posts on how to make this product work better for me.

2 hours ago, lpuerto said:

@DTLow I don't think this feature would be an incredible amount of work and a lot of people like Evernote and pay for it, and like to simplicity of markdown for formatting. 

What would be your estimate for the amount of work required; hours, $?

There is an existing 3rd party product available (Marxico)    Evernote could integrate that service into their product.

Its not a feature I use, or am willing to pay for ($16US yearly), but close to 400 users have indicated support

On 2017-01-24 at 2:04 AM, darkandlong said:

I use it more than Evernote now, mainly due to Evernote's crappy text editor.

Evernote's editor definitely has a limited featureset

If you need more extensive features, I'd also recommend using a different editor, storing in Evernote.  Any document file can be attached to a note

On 2016-11-16 at 1:57 PM, justincbeck said:

Yeah, I'm reaching the point where I might abandon Evernote in favor of something that DOES support markdown.

On 2016-11-18 at 6:29 AM, thejasonparker said:

I'm thinking the same. People have been asking for Markdown support for some time now and Evernote just simply ignore it or fob people off with 3rd party solutions that add extra work and effort. Very poor show.

If markdown support is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If purple highlighting is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If .... (this list could go on and on)

In addition to whining, you can add your support to the feature requests using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.  It will help indicate the request priorities

• Like 1