Evernote Edition ScanSnap users on Mac: Please Read

amanda_h

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, DavisFields said:

So should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first, and then follow the Futisu instructions (update ScanSnap Manager, and then update ScanSnap Organizer)? Or do the Jujitsue stuff first, and then upgrade to Sierra?

Upgrade to Seirra. The fix is only for sierra so el capitan users don't need it, and it may not even work on el capitan.

• amanda_h unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

I was lucky, saw the warning from Fujitsu before upgrading to Sierra, so I have stayed on El Capitan. I've read that Sierra 10.12.1 fixed the problem, but now I'm hearing that Apple broke it again with 10.12.2. What's the latest with that? Did Apple retract that version?

I find myself in the situation where I'm getting disk errors on my mid-2012 MacBook Air and I think It's time to get a new computer. It will come preloaded with Sierra. I run Evernote for Mac 6.10 and Evernote for Windows 6.4.2.3788 on my work computer. I don't know if it's good or bad to use both but absent any nasty bugs, I haven't had any syncing issues that I'm aware of.

My husband is suggesting that if El Capitan is still available for download, I could reformat the drive on the new computer and install it. Just not sure I want to go backwards. I think with the fix that Fujitsu has offered, I could go with 10.12.1. I am in the middle of a huge scanning project (Scanapalooza), certainly don't want to lose the thousands of PDFs I've already scanned or any future ones, and as I'm really getting tired of scanning, want to get this project over with and move on with my life.

What would you do? Besides thinking of a new computer, I am also considering just replacing the hard drive. But that would just be a band-aid. Don't know if I want to put more money into a laptop of its age.

Thanks for your help,

Robin in Short Pump

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, robinkaspar said:

Those don't say the ScanSnap app is broken. It says not to use Apple's PDF editor "Preview" and then recommends a few alternative PDF editors.

So, according to that info, if you scan an file into PDF on Sierra 10.2.2 using the latest drivers from Fujitsu - the emergency fix they issued back in the Sept/Oct timeframe, and do whatever you want with those PDFs except edit with Preview, there should be no problem.

And if I am wrong or there is other info, please update. But don't see the words apple, scansnap, pdf, and assume this is the same issue that happened 3-4 months ago when Sierra was launched. Nothing in what I read indicates that is the case.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, jim.g said:

In addition, I see no upgrade warning on the Fujitsu support site.

Yes. Fujitsu was VERY quick to come out with a warning before the release and very vocal on Twitter, their web page, and in informing Evernote.

I see no reason to be worried, just informed not to use the Preview PDF app, regardless of where your PDFs come from.

16 minutes ago, EdH said:

I see no reason to be worried, just informed not to use the Preview PDF app, regardless of where your PDFs come from.

Ed, I just copied this from the MacObserver article:

If the user, or anyone the user shares their PDFs with, edits the documents in Preview or other PDFKit apps, issues like the loss of an OCR layer or corruption of the document itself may occur. As a safeguard against these problems, users should create copies of their PDFs to ensure that the original document is preserved in the event that the document is inadvertently edited in an app like Preview.

Now I know why I've lost my OCR layer on quite a few pdfs. Bummer.

16 minutes ago, EdH said:

I've only noticed the Preview PDF issues since Sierra and only in regards to form field wonkiness.  Was Preview always this dangerous?  I really, really, really like using Preview and hate that I'm putting my documents in danger by using it because it is the quickest and most convenient PDF reader to use for the Mac.  Ever since I got the Evernote ScanSnap Scanner back in December 2014, I've been using Preview on the PDFs it creates in order to rotate pages, delete pages, etc.  I hate that Windows doesn't have a Preview equivalent.  Has Apple expressed any inclination towards fixing Preview?

13 hours ago, jim.g said:

I'm really upset with Apple for not making us aware of this. I edit multiple pdfs in Preview on a daily basis and scan everything as OCR. Looks like Apple's taking a page from EN's playbook.

I've looked into this a little more, and it appears this bug was fixed with 10.12.3. Opened some of my pdfs in Preview and it appears that the OCR and annotation layers are remaining intact. Whew!

Archived