Note content missing and I can't access history

MF1

Hi all, 

I'm kinda freaking out because I seem to be missing the last 3 months of content in an important note. Not sure where it went!! I tried to find the note history but it seems that this does not exist because I am not a premium member. I have been told to go to Evernote- About Evernote- Open database folder, but I only now have Evernote on my iPad and phone and do not know how to follow these directions on these devices. On my computer I access evernote from the internet and am also not sure how to find the history then. 

Can I please have some help?? :(

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, MF1 said:

I'm kinda freaking out because I seem to be missing the last 3 months of content in an important note. Not sure where it went!! I tried to find the note history but it seems that this does not exist because I am not a premium member. I have been told to go to Evernote- About Evernote- Open database folder, but I only now have Evernote on my iPad and phone and do not know how to follow these directions on these devices. On my computer I access evernote from the internet and am also not sure how to find the history then. 

Look here to see the Evernote documentation   https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858-How-to-access-and-use-note-history

You should be able to access the Note History on your computer via the Win/Mac or Web platforms.

It is a paid feature; you could upgrade for a single month just to retrieve your notes data

I've heard this before- 

Your Evernote database on your Mac can be accessed via Evernote > About Evernote > On the window that appears press the Option key on your keyboard, and select Open database folder.

but I can't figure out how to follow the steps from the web form of Evernote on my Mac computer.

Any suggestions?

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, MF1 said:

I've heard this before- 

Your Evernote database on your Mac can be accessed via Evernote > About Evernote > On the window that appears press the Option key on your keyboard, and select Open database folder.

but I can't figure out how to follow the steps from the web form of Evernote on my Mac computer.

Any suggestions?

If you're using the web platform, there is no local database; you're accessing the Evernote servers directly

If you're using the Mac platform, you have a copy of the notes database on your Mac.  The above instructions are for the Mac

Note: Mac platform means you're using the Evernote software downloaded to your computer.

In theory, you can access the database on your Mac.  It's a collection of SQL tables.

The Evernote Note History data is not stored on your local computer.

As part of my Backup Process, I maintain my own note history; a scheduled export of changed notes

Since Evernote switched to allowing basic users only 2 devices, I have just kept the Evernote software on my iPhone and iPad. Can you give me some advice to how to follow the instructions to get the old notes back, using my iPad or iPhone? (also, maybe a faint hope.. but I was thinking I can maybe just find the undo button and hope it goes back a few days. Do you know where the undo button for Evernote is on iPhone or iPads?)

Thanks very much for your time! I really appreciate it

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, MF1 said:

Since Evernote switched to allowing basic users only 2 devices, I have just kept the Evernote software on my iPhone and iPad. Can you give me some advice to how to follow the instructions to get the old notes back, using my iPad or iPhone? (also, maybe a faint hope.. but I was thinking I can maybe just find the undo button and hope it goes back a few days. Do you know where the undo button for Evernote is on iPhone or iPads?)

A point of correction: Evernote has restricted Evernote to two simultaneous devices
You can use as many devices as you want; only 2 running Evernote software at the same time.  Web access is not counted

I've given you instructions on accessing the Note History feature in Evernote,
Its only available via the web platform, and with a paid subscription.

There is an undo button on the numeric keyboard, but it doesn't restore notes from a few days, just current typing

Okay, so my only chance to get the notes back is to pay the $60ish? The external hard drive won't have anything?

Could you let me know how to set up exporting changed notes?

If I upgrade for one month, will I be able to go back to a month where I was just basic and retrieve notes from then? (or can you only retrieve notes from times when you were premium) Is there a time limit to this? (should I get on it and just upgrade quick now?)

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, MF1 said:

Also, how do you set up an export of changed notes? I back up to an external hard drive every once in awhile. Would this give me access to old notes?

Export is a feature on the Mac/Win platforms documented here https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005557-How-to-back-up-export-and-restore-import-notes-and-notebooks
On the Mac platform, I select the notes, and either right click or click on File > Export
There are two format options HTML and XML
- XML is to create a backup file for reload purposes
- HTML gives you your notes in readable form external to Evernote

As to your "back up to an external hard drive"; Again, you have to plan ahead.
You have to be using the Mac platform which gives you a local database
In theory, you can restore the database and access the old version.
I don't recommend this; the export is more workable

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, MF1 said:

Okay, so my only chance to get the notes back is to pay the $60ish?
If I upgrade for one month, will I be able to go back to a month where I was just basic and retrieve notes from then? (or can you only retrieve notes from times when you were premium) Is there a time limit to this? (should I get on it and just upgrade quick now?)

You could pay $60ish for a year subscription, but I'd think you'd only want the month plan :)

Evernote has been archiving notes for a long time.  They only delete it when we delete the notes.
If you haven't deleted the note, I'm confident you'll find it in the Note History

I am having a similar problem with missing content as well.  The bottom paragraphs of my note have gone missing.  This portion was written  months ago and saved properly. I just noticed they were missing yesterday,  after a series of iphone app updates for EN, now they're gone.  Very disturbing to have old content like this just disappear. Really makes me nervous to use EN to hold critical information.  Really makes me wonder what else has "gone missing."  

I don't know if this is related to the problem of missing content, but the note in question also had some very strange formatting issue that occurred after an iOS update a few weeks ago.  The entire note seemed like the font shrunk in size, even though the font size was the standard when checked via Web and Desktop EN versions.  Now  the newest EN app update seems to have fixed the font size appearance only for me to now notice bottom portion of the note content to be missing.  

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Moriarty2099 said:

I am having a similar problem with missing content as well.  The bottom paragraphs of my note have gone missing.  This portion was written  months ago and saved properly.

As per the previous posts, Note History would allow you to retrieve the missing data in your note.  This would also allow you to identify when the data got lost.

Thankyou DTLow,

I now upgraded to premium.   Now via note history, I can see that bottom of the note was there on September 3rd.  Then, there is no 'note history' for 4 days afterwards and then on  September 7th the note version shows the bottom mysteriously disappeared.  

Did Evernote mysteriously delete the bottom of my note?

• Level 5*

That's telling me the note was updated on Sept 3, and then on the 7th when the bottom went missing

My opinion is that it's highly unlikely that Evernote did the update.

Archived