Legal Inquiry

Outline Construction

Idea

I am thinking about having myself and my site foreman use evernote to increase note quality and speed. In our industry we are legally required to keep a note book of our daily activities. My question is 

1. can you get evernote to time stamp each time a entry is entered other than the main time stamp. 

2. Does any one know if digital note taking is admissible in court, for example: Little johnny was told and documented 3 times to wear his harness. He didn't listen and now has had a major incident. when going through the court system we will need to be able to provide proof that we told him, IE notebook. 

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On September 14, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Outline Construction said:

1. can you get evernote to time stamp each time a entry is entered other than the main time stamp. 

Automatic timestamp is not a builtin feature.
I would be looking at third-party software that provides this - what devices would you be using?

• Level 5*

Due respect to Evernote,  I don't think this is something you should be documenting here.  By all means use Evernote to collate scanned pages so you can search for a name and find all the necessary warnings (forinstance) but the updated and created dates on notes and inserted into text are freely editable,  so something purely in Evernote could easily have been created after an event rather than before it.  The process is not sufficiently secure.  You should certainly get some local legal (or maybe business) advice as to what sort of record system would be suitable,  and as @DTLow says - check into what systems or software would protect you if necessary.

Thanks for the advice. seems to me that it is a great way for evernote to expand, because I've only used the app for a week now, and if it digitally time stamped each entry into the note itself, and maybe have an option you so you can't alter the previous notes. This is the way of the future if they could provide this. because I find myself it is way faster to pull out evernote during the day to record certain items, speed and connivence put this app at the top of the list, 

I am using Mac products to run Evernote

I have also consulted local legal advice about this, and i am awaiting a response. 

as my role of a Supervisor, in the Construction industry. This would be a superior app for record keeping. as long as evernote can come up with a option, that when viewed from a judges eyes. will not be turned away due to the fact you can go in and alter the notes after they are set. Which is very handy! and would be the reason why you would need to have it as an option. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Outline Construction said:

Thanks for the advice. seems to me that it is a great way for evernote to expand, because I've only used the app for a week now, and if it digitally time stamped each entry into the note itself, and maybe have an option you so you can't alter the previous notes. This is the way of the future if they could provide this. because I find myself it is way faster to pull out evernote during the day to record certain items, speed and connivence put this app at the top of the list, 

I am using Mac products to run Evernote

I have also consulted local legal advice about this, and i am awaiting a response. 

as my role of a Supervisor, in the Construction industry. This would be a superior app for record keeping. as long as evernote can come up with a option, that when viewed from a judges eyes. will not be turned away due to the fact you can go in and alter the notes after they are set. Which is very handy! and would be the reason why you would need to have it as an option. 

If we're talking Mac, I'd write an Applescript to do this
- Automatically update Evernote with some text, including a timestamp

Any other devices?  Here is a discussion on a frontend app for IOS

Still not sure about the legal side; the notes are not secure and can be easily modified

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Despite the 'editability' of the notes,  it does occur to me that if you took a daily backup of the database and deposited that with one or more of your legal advisor / accountant / bank - or even DropBox or Google Drive - your note time and date stamps would be verifiable from the history of your backups.  If your note is dated April 1st this year,  it would be on the backup for that day and could be checked for tampering.  Again you still need legal advice - I hope they understand the IT!  :)

Archived