Adjustable Table Row Height

Price's Scientific

Idea

40 replies to this idea

On 9/13/2016 at 10:31 AM, Price's Scientific said:

Would it be possible to make changes to the table format that would allow adjusting the row height?  At present, table column width can be altered.  The row height seems to locked and is much bigger than in the past.  We have a form that was designed a couple years ago using tables.  Unfortunately, some of those tables are no longer compatible with the upgrades that have transpired.  The current row height takes up twice as much space as the old format and thus would make our forms very large and more difficult to use.

Thank you for your support

(Second post!)  I concur. As a newbie I searched for this ability only to find it does not exist. I copied in an Excel spreadsheet that had the correct row height but found EN made the rows way too high.  OneNote copied it in correctly. I found that OneNote does not allow the adjustment of row height either.

• Like 1
On 9/14/2016 at 8:34 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Could you recreate those forms using Excel or Word and copy/ paste the resulting table (with variable widths, heights and colors) into a note for future use?

That is hardly a neat solution. I agree with the author that the row heights are way too large and should be adjustable. I've stopped using tables for the moment for this very reason.

It's silly to have to comment on this, especially after the issue has been unresolved for years. Anyone who can't see why users would need the ability to adjust the size of their tables should seek their true calling in life; all I can say is it's not in software.

• Like 1

I agree that tables are completely unusable, and I am willing to bet that the friction involved in providing feedback on this forum is why more users aren't doing so. I can see exactly 8 rows at a time on my 13" MacBook Pro. This is objectively absurd. As a developer I appreciate the difficulty of making changes to an editor that has to support so many different platforms. Nevertheless, table editing is so fundamentally important that proper execution is worth it here. 8 rows on a laptop screen. Seriously.

I totally agree with the comments here. And I'll bet there are so few "up" votes because people (ok, me) think it can't possibly be true, we just have to try harder and soon we give up, and/or we don't know HOW to give an "up" vote. I'm just finding it now after years of cursing those rows.

FWIW, nowhere near an actual solution, but I converted my table to a jpeg and pasted that in = it's a table that doesn't change that often. Many drawbacks but better than nothing and better than the Green Giant-size rows.

Apparently Evernote doesn't think it's a big deal. So they should include this fact in the How To for creating tables. Why not? Not a big deal, right, EN?

Smiley face here.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  The table row height is dynamic - by which I mean a bigger font size or a picture will boost it out depending on the width to which you have the table set.  As a matter of interest,  could you give an example of where you'd need an adjustable row height?

My two cents, there is too much air in tables.  The ability to set the padding would enable those of us who like denser information to have it.  We were able to do this up until a couple of years ago by modifying the ENML using an editor.  No more, it makes no difference what changes you make to padding values in the ENML anymore, default is what you get.  Default is 8px, I used to like 4px, so half the air.  This enabled more rows per screen of a table, a good thing.  Probably TMI....

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  The table row height is dynamic - by which I mean a bigger font size or a picture will boost it out depending on the width to which you have the table set.  As a matter of interest,  could you give an example of where you'd need an adjustable row height?

I was not clear in my comment. I, as others, am concerned with the padding. While I'm at it I could also wish that ALL the table formatting would transfer over on those occasions when I want to bring in an existing table. I do not expect to be able to do calculations or other advanced operations.  But I don't want to have to reinstate row or column colors. I don't want to have to click the table to open in another app.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Old post, but prior to I don't know how many releases back you could modify the ENML to set the padding, to get rid of the extra space.  Not anymore.  Even if you change the padding by editing the ENML, EN still displays the table with the default padding.

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Not posting because your post may not be read is a sure way to make sure it's not seen.  Per @DTLow - Evernote isn't obliged to jump on any request here,  or to implement any of them;  but the feedback will considered when they next look for ideas.  Any work will have to fit in with a busy ongoing schedule dealing with existing feature development and ongoing maintenance anyway.

Couldn't agree more. 

OTOH, I think as frequent forum contributors we should just allow EN to take the mantle of explaining/not explaining their priority decisions.  Makes little to no sense to me that voting is enabled and feedback from EN is non-existent.  Particularly on requests that appear with some frequency in these forums, either as a request or in postings.  This topic unfortunately not being one of them (personal use case ?).  Just a voice in the wilderness....

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I've explained before - and you know,  more than most - that few companies want to say anything about features that may or may not be in development.  It's grist for competitors, sets expectations amongst users... and sets the company up to fail,  when (for example) that last update to Windows kills something important and you have to use up development resources to scrabble it back.  Plus saying 'this feature is due out in the next release' means all the other proponents of all the other features that didn't get included will want in on the act.  It's just easier to say nothing!

Would be good though to have someone come back from time to time and reassure us that voting does matter..@Shane D.:)

Agreed, I just think someone other than you should be carrying the burden.  ?

• Haha 1

I agree with this request.  The table handling in EN is terrible.  It surprises me that there are not more posts on this topic.  It is a basic need in notes.  I pay for this service and the interface and formatting for notes is inferior to all the other note applications.  Unfortunately I am just too embedded to move away at this point, but it is a huge point of frustration.

At a minimum in order to not take up too much of development time (I run development teams so I understand) just change the set height.  I would be willing to bet that if you polled users, that the large majority would say the current static height is too tall.  I can see so few rows on the screen at a time that it makes tables unusable.  I understand the need for backward compatibility for those that already have notes with tables in them, but surely that would not be affected by changing the default height going forward since you can paste tables from other sources.

Look at what other software does when you drop in a table.  I've never seen rows so tall in a newly created table.

Please, please, please make this adjustment.  It makes this product feel clunky and not modern...

• Like 1

I support that request. There should be a way to create a small table that fits the screen. I just wanted to create a template for my weekly private lessons, but I cannot change the height of the rows, so I have to scroll down and up to see the whole day, which completely defeats the purpose. I have tried to invent a workaround by deleting some rows, but then the remaining rows just get bigger and out of screen again. I looks like I will need to use another app for my schedule. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I'd guess Evernote are working on table features anyway,  since (I also guess) they're a component of the global editor which supports all devices on all OS's .  So we should see more improvements this year - whether or not that includes row height will depend on where that comes in the general priorities.  If you're in favour of the idea please click the up-arrow at the top left of this thread to increase the counter.  The more votes,  the more likely you are to see this sooner rather than later.

I am rather new to Evernote, and agree with the previous posts: it is necessary to be able to change row height and cell padding!

Evernote is not used to present nice tables to others but to get structured overview of tables - which is not possible when the table scrolls over several screens.

I also find that Evernote in general wastes space, but it could be me not finding the options - in the table, it looks as if the line spacing is 1.5 instead of 1 - I would like to be able to set this as well!

Hope for fixes soon, as I otherwise like the program.

/KMB

screendump 2019-04-16 17.19.jpg

On 9/10/2019 at 12:32 PM, gazumped said:

No,  Evernote users seem not to think it's a priority.

As to other options,  you're right it's possible to attach a screen grab of a table,  or an actual copy and paste from a spreadsheet (with the layout and colors of the spreadsheet),  or a PDF print out of a spreadsheet,  or even an actual spreadsheet,  which you can  then open and edit at your leisure.

PS - mainly user-supported forum here,  so no input into Evernote's help pages,  - but they're about how to use the Evernote product in all its (limited) glory.  When you find the limits are a problem,  we're often able to suggest work-arounds in the Forum.

Hey y’all — 

So, I’m new to Evernote and I work mainly on iOS devices, rarely ever open my computer, and this table thing is driving me insane. 

I assumed I just was new and would figure it out, but I’m beginning to get bummed by the apparent lack of movement on EN’s part to do something about tables. 

My main problem is adding rows/columns and adjusting the size of them. I’m not sure if it’s better on a computer, but is there something on iOS I’m doing wrong??

I see comments on here about “just screenshot an excel spreadsheet,” etc., but what about when I need to add something to the ever growing list of accounts, passwords, security questions, etc. — I’d prefer not to take multiple steps for something that should be quick and easy.

Honestly, I’d rather give up now and find something else, but my husband is too embedded w EN and insists on it so we can share notes. I’m *trying* to get on board...

I’d love any help or suggestions!    

thanks!

I need to be able to use a table to compare items with different elements, as in a spreadsheet. IT is very difficult to compare things easily when I cannot see more need to be able to see more rows at a time (and I use on a computer). We must be able to adjust row size,  I don't think that this change should be difficult to make. Why has it not been done? Thanks!

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Hans Rattink said:

Thanks for the feedback. Meanwhile people are still searching on how to adjust the row height of a pasted table. When can we expect a solution for this?

On 8/27/2018 at 10:11 PM, Shane D. said:

As @gazumped mentioned, we don't provide definitive roadmaps for our future planned releases, functions, features, etc.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, UncleJr said:

That is hardly a neat solution.

I use the 'whatever works' theory of GTD ;)

Doesn't seem that this is a major concern for most users - two comments in a couple of years and no votes (top left of the OP's post) in favour.  It may have come up in other forums,  and it may already be part of Evernote's long-term strategy for editor improvements;  but for the moment what you (don't) see is what's available.  More comments/ votes might move it onto / up the priorities list.

6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Doesn't seem that this is a major concern for most users - two comments in a couple of years and no votes (top left of the OP's post) in favour. 

Perhaps although a lot of users just dont bother posting because I suspect Evernote developers never even visit these forums. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, UncleJr said:

Perhaps although a lot of users just dont bother posting because I suspect Evernote developers never even visit these forums. 

Evernote is paying for these forums where users post issues and requests.  Supposedly Evernote monitors posted these posts.
Thats not to say an individual post is the highest priority, and the developers should imediately jump in and implement changes.

• Level 5*

Not posting because your post may not be read is a sure way to make sure it's not seen.  Per @DTLow - Evernote isn't obliged to jump on any request here,  or to implement any of them;  but the feedback will considered when they next look for ideas.  Any work will have to fit in with a busy ongoing schedule dealing with existing feature development and ongoing maintenance anyway.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, CalS said:

just allow EN to take the mantle of explaining/not explaining their priority decisions.

I've explained before - and you know,  more than most - that few companies want to say anything about features that may or may not be in development.  It's grist for competitors, sets expectations amongst users... and sets the company up to fail,  when (for example) that last update to Windows kills something important and you have to use up development resources to scrabble it back.  Plus saying 'this feature is due out in the next release' means all the other proponents of all the other features that didn't get included will want in on the act.  It's just easier to say nothing!

Would be good though to have someone come back from time to time and reassure us that voting does matter...  @Shane D.:)

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Hey All,

I can assure you that we do look at user feedback in the forums, and we do our best to package that information and relay it to the development teams.

As @gazumped mentioned, we don't provide definitive roadmaps for our future planned releases, functions, features, etc.

That being said, we certainly believe we could do a better job with providing transparency/context when we do make changes, updates, etc, as well as how we capture and respond to users' sentiment/feedback.

To elaborate, this is something we've been working on behind the scenes, and we are hopeful that you will start to see the fruits of that labor.

Specifically for the forums, we've been in the process of adding customer support agents and resources to give us more eyes and ears within the forums.

These agents and resources should better enable us to answer users' questions, provide context, and capture and respond to user feedback.

Another challenge we face, and are working to address, is the sheer amount of data/content within the forums at present.

Unfortunately, we still have a lot of old content within the forums that can make data aggregation and collection difficult, as well as impede a user's ability to find more relevant/updated content, threads, and answers.

However, with more resources at our disposal, we will be better able to curate/organize forum posts and topics, remove irrelevant or outdated information, and enforce the Code of Conduct.

That curation/organization involves relocating posts to more appropriate locations and merging similar threads/posts. As a byproduct, this should help to centralize the users' voice so that it is amplified and easier for us to quantify, as well as better enable users to find what they're looking for.

I hope this helps, and certainly feel free to reach out to me directly if you have more questions!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, RMMM said:

It's silly to have to comment on this, especially after the issue has been unresolved for years. Anyone who can't see why users would need the ability to adjust the size of their tables should seek their true calling in life; all I can say is it's not in software.

This suggestion currently has exactly 6 votes.  It doesn't seem like the best support request on the planet.  Evernote may have prioritised actioning those other requests that have votes into the hundreds...  To vote,  click the up arrow at the top left of this page.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, BklynBorn said:

Evernote doesn't think it's a big deal

No,  Evernote users seem not to think it's a priority.

As to other options,  you're right it's possible to attach a screen grab of a table,  or an actual copy and paste from a spreadsheet (with the layout and colors of the spreadsheet),  or a PDF print out of a spreadsheet,  or even an actual spreadsheet,  which you can  then open and edit at your leisure.

PS - mainly user-supported forum here,  so no input into Evernote's help pages,  - but they're about how to use the Evernote product in all its (limited) glory.  When you find the limits are a problem,  we're often able to suggest work-arounds in the Forum.

Count me as one of the users who would really like table rows to be adjustable. Or at least let me format in another app and bring it the table as formatted. My only work-around for instances when I am not going to change the contents of the table is to create the table in another app, take a screen shot and insert it into my note. Not ideal.

• Level 5*
On 11/22/2019 at 7:13 PM, tech_gal said:

Count me as one of the users who would really like table rows to be adjustable. Or at least let me format in another app and bring it the table as formatted. My only work-around for instances when I am not going to change the contents of the table is to create the table in another app, take a screen shot and insert it into my note. Not ideal.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, CalS said:

My two cents, there is too much air in tables.

Doh.  Sorry - was skimming through and got fixated on making row height bigger:  totally forgot that we get Duplo tables now...  I'd agree - at the least it would be nice to have Default / Comfortable / Compact like Gmail.. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, laralane said:

... is there something on iOS I’m doing wrong??

imho  You're using the wrong editor - it doesn't support your requirements   
An Evernote note can hold files of any format   
Chose an editor that delivers what you need ("adding rows/columns and adjusting the size of them").  For IOS, I use Apple Pages/Numbers; however I prefer doing such editing on my Mac

Also, the request for IOS table fuctionality is Here.  Please indicate your support using the vote button at the top left corner

18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

imho  You're using the wrong editor - it doesn't support your requirements   
An Evernote note can hold files of any format   
Chose an editor that delivers what you need ("adding rows/columns and adjusting the size of them").  For IOS, I use Apple Pages/Numbers

Honestly, I totally agree. I’m just trying to appease my husband, haha. I’ll probably end up using it simply for whatever he needs/wants to share with me. 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

Thanks! 

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, laralane said:

My main problem is adding rows/columns and adjusting the size of them. I’m not sure if it’s better on a computer, but is there something on iOS I’m doing wrong??

It's better on a computer and you are not doing anything wrong on IOS.  Integration of table formats between platforms is something within EN that needs some work.

• Level 5*
On 12/19/2019 at 11:04 PM, Arwen said:

I don't think that this change should be difficult to make. Why has it not been done? Thanks!

Hi.  This is a (mainly) user-supported forum,  so I'm afraid you won't get much enlightenment here.  Chances are that if this is a simple fix,  several other more complicated things have to be put in place before it can be scheduled - and it's maybe not as simple as you think to change a package that's in daily use by millions.  Pretty sure this will get done,  but Evernote will have to decide the timescale.

On 8/27/2018 at 11:11 PM, Shane D. said:

Hey All,

I can assure you that we do look at user feedback in the forums, and we do our best to package that information and relay it to the development teams.

That being said, we certainly believe we could do a better job with providing transparency/context when we do make changes, updates, etc, as well as how we capture and respond to users' sentiment/feedback.

To elaborate, this is something we've been working on behind the scenes, and we are hopeful that you will start to see the fruits of that labor.

Specifically for the forums, we've been in the process of adding customer support agents and resources to give us more eyes and ears within the forums.

These agents and resources should better enable us to answer users' questions, provide context, and capture and respond to user feedback.

Another challenge we face, and are working to address, is the sheer amount of data/content within the forums at present.

Unfortunately, we still have a lot of old content within the forums that can make data aggregation and collection difficult, as well as impede a user's ability to find more relevant/updated content, threads, and answers.

However, with more resources at our disposal, we will be better able to curate/organize forum posts and topics, remove irrelevant or outdated information, and enforce the Code of Conduct.

That curation/organization involves relocating posts to more appropriate locations and merging similar threads/posts. As a byproduct, this should help to centralize the users' voice so that it is amplified and easier for us to quantify, as well as better enable users to find what they're looking for.

I hope this helps, and certainly feel free to reach out to me directly if you have more questions!

Thanks for the feedback. Meanwhile people are still searching on how to adjust the row height of a pasted table. When can we expect a solution for this?

I agree. I have the same problem and cannot use tables in Evernote JUST for the reason I CANNOT adjust the ROW HEIGHT, as my tables are too long, and totally IMPRACTICAL.

It seems that people have been asking for this feature for YEARS now.

Why is it taking so long to adjust a row???

• Level 5*
On 10/10/2020 at 1:21 AM, internetcoco said:

I agree. I have the same problem and cannot use tables in Evernote JUST for the reason I CANNOT adjust the ROW HEIGHT, as my tables are too long, and totally IMPRACTICAL.

It seems that people have been asking for this feature for YEARS now.

Why is it taking so long to adjust a row???

v10 for iOS is now out.  I doubt your current version will see any updates from this point on.  Please check the iOS forums for more one what's included there...

• Level 5

The new release has in the current version for iOS only very limited support for tables. But a tables feature is already visible behind the „Edit“ button. This is more than the prior versions offered, where tables could only be created by a keyboard shortcut, and not edited.

Add better support for tables in the iOS version is on the official shortlist of improvements published by EN. There is no roadmap, so we have to wait until it gets released.

All versions prior to EN 10 are declared legacy and will most likely not receive any more updates.

Upvote!  I said to myself, "why don't I use a table" and then I did, and I remembered why I don't.  Because there's too much air or padding and it consumes nearly 3x the real estate. Boo. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

This is the wrong subforum - the iOS legacy version is end of life.

Concerning the new version, there never has been such a good support for tables on the mobile client - ever !

The row height is HTML standard - make sure there are no additional „Return“ characters embedded to reduce row height to what it requires for the content.