Evernote for iOS 7.17 Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We released Evernote for iOS 7.17 earlier today.

This release contains new iOS 10 features – including an iMessage app extension and updated widget – and bug fixes plus fixes for offline notebooks and iPod Touch.

7.17 Notable fixes and improvements:

• iOS 10 feature: iMessage app
    • Share a note directly in the Messages app by enabling the Evernote iMessage app extension
    • Select from 10 suggested notes or search your notes - select a note to share by tapping the note in the iMessage app
    • This will package a public URL for the receiver to view and if desired, save a copy into their Evernote account
    • Receivers can tap the message to open the note within the Evernote iMessage app (on iOS 10) - if the receiver does not have the Evernote iMessage app, they'll automatically be directed to the App Store for iMessage to download Evernote and/or enable the Evernote iMessage app
    • Update: v7.17.1 is now available and includes localization for the iMessage app extension - all other functionality remains unchanged
  • Updated widget
    • iOS 10 users with 3D Touch devices can now press on the Evernote icon on their device Home screen to see the compressed widget displayed with a suggested note to open
    • If you don't have the Widget installed on your Search screen, tap "Add Widget" to install
    • On the device Search screen in iOS 10, you can toggle "Show More" to expand the widget to show up to 3 suggested notes and buttons for new note, new scan/photo note, new reminder, or search Evernote - toggle "Show Less" to collapse the widget to show only one suggested note
    • iOS 9 users will see an updated Today Widget that has updated styling similar to the iOS 10 expanded widget
  • Additional improvements
    • Fixed issue where notes in offline notebooks were not viewable while offline
    • Fixed issue for iPod Touch users that limited note attachments or viewing
    • Update for users with unsynced modified notes upon updating to 7.16

Read more about the iOS 10 features on our blog: Evernote 7.17: What’s New for iOS 10.

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

44 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 2016-09-20 at 8:52 AM, DTLow said:

I opened Ticket# 1827638 - IOS problem with internal link in a note; The problem might be caused by this release

My notes are heavily cross linked; when I click on a link it just takes me to the top of the note, not to the other note
The links are valid; I can copy them and use them in Safari. They work on the Mac platform
Investigating further, the problem occurs to links where I have applied a colour setting using my Mac

17 hours ago, cifip said:

Thanks for reporting this issue. The issue does appear to be limited to when the link color has been changed on the Mac. We're investigating and hope to have that fixed soon.

The response from Support is

This is indeed a known issue with our end. Our developers are already working on a solution, and they are hopeful that the fix will make it into our next release.

I don't have an exact timeframe for when that will be, but our next release should be out in the next week or so, barring any complications. I recommend turning on auto-update in your iOS settings so that you can get the fix as soon as it is released without having to take any action.

Thanks all, love the product and you're doing a great job

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, weaverh said:

I believe if you go to Evernote Settings>>General you can turn off showing notes, and your quick actions will be visible again. 

1 hour ago, uthark said:

It is not. I see blank space with message that my notes will be displayed there. I have to click on show more to view toolbar.

Before the update widget displayed quick actions, no additional taps were needed.

It works for me.              IMG_1369.jpg

"Show more" has to be selected once, but seems to persist and be available for subsequent use

I didn't see the benefit of the widget displaying random notes so I turned it off.

I'll turn the notes back on if/when I can select the notes

On September 14, 2016 at 11:26 AM, theinspired615 said:

I'm loving the iOS 10 update so far, but I cannot get the new Messages app to load. Whenever I try to load it in Messages, I get a blank page with the Evernote logo. When I tap it, nothing happens. I'm on an iPhone SE. I've already restarted my phone. I tried accessing the app with the main Evernote app open — that didn't work either. Is this an iOS 10 glitch or an Evernote one?

UPDATE: Deleting and re-downloading the app seems to have fixed the problem. Looks like an iOS glitch. Great work, Evernote team!

I landed here because I'm having the exact same problem and was hoping that others might post a fix. I'm in the process of deleting and reinstalling now. Fingers crossed! :)

And... it worked! thank you thank you thank you! :)

On 9/16/2016 at 6:21 PM, weaverh said:

I believe if you go to Evernote Settings>>General you can turn off showing notes, and your quick actions will be visible again. 

Like the other person, it doesn't work for me. The sign saying my notes will appear there stays there. Come on, just look at the OneNote widget. It's perfect. Not even Apple Notes got it right. To me it is fairly obvious that, even if a given user wants to see some recent notes in the widget, the action icons should come before/above the notes.

• Level 5*

I opened Ticket# 1827638 - IOS problem with internal link in a note; The problem might be caused by this release

My notes are heavily cross linked; when I click on a link it just takes me to the top of the note, not to the other note
The links are valid; I can copy them and use them in Safari. They work on the Mac platform
Investigating further, the problem occurs to links where I have applied a colour setting using my Mac

• Level 5
8 hours ago, DTLow said:

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue. The issue does appear to be limited to when the link color has been changed on the Mac. We're investigating and hope to have that fixed soon.

Cheers,
Chuck

• Level 5

Hi,

For folks having trouble with the iMessage app extension, below are some troubleshooting steps.

1. Turn off the Evernote iMessage app -- within Messages, open App Store for iMessage > Manage > Evernote > Off
  2. Open Evernote, sync, and then force quit the Evernote app -- double press the home button and then swipe up
  3. Reboot device -- fully power down (hold down the power button then swipe to power off) and then restart the device
  4. Open the Evernote app and sync
  5. Open Messages and re-enable the Evernote iMessage app -- within Messages, open App Store for iMessage > Manage > Evernote > On

We've seen reports of the app not working in Messages while others do work, and we've seen reports where Evernote is the only app that does work in Messages. We've also heard from folks that the iMessage app just suddenly starts working for them. And we have one former employee who gets an "Oops" screen that we've seen nowhere else. It's quite befuddling.

Please let me know if the above works for you.

Thanks,
Chuck

• Level 5

Thanks for the feedback on the updated Widget.

A few notes:

1. I appreciate the feedback and will take it into consideration for future updates
  2. If you see examples of widgets that you like, please pass them along - we're always looking for inspiration
  3. Apple has previously rejected apps that had Widgets containing only shortcuts to launch the app - that was actually our original design in v7.5 - we added suggested notes in v7.6.2
  4. We flipped the notes / actions in the latest widget design to take advantage of the iOS 10 feature that shows the compressed widget on 3D Touch Home screens and have meaningful data in the compressed widget view
  5. You can turn off displaying notes in Settings > General > Show Notes in Widget - then expanding the widget will give you access to the actions

Cheers,
Chuck

• Level 5
On September 14, 2016 at 7:06 AM, Chris_W said:

Great update, even though the widget doesn't display any recent notes for me.

Even if I appreciate the early integration of new iOS 10 features, one thing that desperately needs improvements is the share extension. I have never really used on iOS because it is so limited. Even basic apps like Apple's Notes are more advanced. 

Changes to make it usable in my opinion:

• Tag selection should be searchable 
  • Saving/clipping options as…
    • Full page
    • Link/bookmark
      • Take a look at the way Apple's Notes app does this, with rich previews
    • Article
      • Safari reader view for instance, even Mail app can do this
  • Ability to add links/bookmarks to existing notes
    • Apple Notes app can do this, other, like Drafts as well
    • Make that searchable, just like tag selection
  • Possibly integrating the reminder feature as well

Just a few basic things guys. Maybe I can switch back from the surprisingly more advanced Notes from Apple on iOS, if Evernote catches up with its share extension

Thanks for the feedback. We're constantly looking for ways to improve the experience and plan to focus on the share extension in the future. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Chuck

23 minutes ago, cifip said:

Thanks for the feedback on the updated Widget.

A few notes:

1. I appreciate the feedback and will take it into consideration for future updates
  2. If you see examples of widgets that you like, please pass them along - we're always looking for inspiration
  3. Apple has previously rejected apps that had Widgets containing only shortcuts to launch the app - that was actually our original design in v7.5 - we added suggested notes in v7.6.2
  4. We flipped the notes / actions in the latest widget design to take advantage of the iOS 10 feature that shows the compressed widget on 3D Touch Home screens and have meaningful data in the compressed widget view
  5. You can turn off displaying notes in Settings > General > Show Notes in Widget - then expanding the widget will give you access to the actions

Cheers,
Chuck

Thanks for the feedback, Chuck.

I don't have 3D Touch, so I must admit it's a bit hard for me to visualize what you mean by the advantages of having the notes above the actions. Isn't it possible then to put a switch in settings for the user to choose if they prefer notes after or before the actions?

Anyway, it isn't working the way it is, as even when we disable showing recent notes, the widget keeps showing the message that says the notes will appear there - and Apple being Apple for not accepting only actions... What's wrong with it???... Whatever...

I really think the OneNote widget makes more sense: you have the actions and if you tap "show more" you see more, which are the recent notes. I don't know, but it seems to me that the notes, being dynamic - that is, not being always the same - are a plus, are "more"; while the actions - which are constant - are what should always be there.

I'd be happy with a widget like that, but even though I'd agree it may be a little niche, I'd be even happier to have a shortcut for audio notes on the widget too.

16 hours ago, cifip said:
  1. If you see examples of widgets that you like, please pass them along - we're always looking for inspiration

I like the Drafts App thing = widget starts Speech to Text at once. And some other widgets - look the screenshots:

example2.jpg

example1.jpg

example4.jpg

example3.jpg

2 hours ago, uthark said:

I don't need access to notes in widget, but I want to have access to quick actions. Before this update it was possible to do. Now I have to tap show more to display quick actions.

• Fixed issue where notes in offline notebooks were not viewable while offline

Having just been burned by the issue trying to access an important note while offline, it would have been useful to know that the app needed to be opened after the update for a full resync to happen (which is what it did when I got back onto the net).   Offline access has to be rock solid otherwise just can't trust it to be there when needed and that's a big issue for a major premium feature.

• Level 5
On September 20, 2016 at 5:53 PM, cifip said:

Hi,

For folks having trouble with the iMessage app extension, below are some troubleshooting steps.

1. Turn off the Evernote iMessage app -- within Messages, open App Store for iMessage > Manage > Evernote > Off
  2. Open Evernote, sync, and then force quit the Evernote app -- double press the home button and then swipe up
  3. Reboot device -- fully power down (hold down the power button then swipe to power off) and then restart the device
  5. Open Messages and re-enable the Evernote iMessage app -- within Messages, open App Store for iMessage > Manage > Evernote > On

We've seen reports of the app not working in Messages while others do work, and we've seen reports where Evernote is the only app that does work in Messages. We've also heard from folks that the iMessage app just suddenly starts working for them. And we have one former employee who gets an "Oops" screen that we've seen nowhere else. It's quite befuddling.

Thanks,
Chuck

Hi All,

Apple released iOS 10.0.2 today which addresses this issue. If you're still having trouble loading the iMessage app extension, please backup your device and update your OS.

More details .

Cheers,
Chuck

• Level 5
9 hours ago, Andrew R said:

Having just been burned by the issue trying to access an important note while offline, it would have been useful to know that the app needed to be opened after the update for a full resync to happen (which is what it did when I got back onto the net).   Offline access has to be rock solid otherwise just can't trust it to be there when needed and that's a big issue for a major premium feature.

Hi Andrew,

The app should not have needed a full resync to fix the offline notebook issue - there should have been a very quick note conversion on first launch of v7.17 or v7.17.1 to address this issue. I'm sorry to hear that this did not work properly for you.

Thanks,
Chuck

• Level 5
On September 20, 2016 at 6:41 PM, fmb said:

Thanks for the feedback, Chuck.

I don't have 3D Touch, so I must admit it's a bit hard for me to visualize what you mean by the advantages of having the notes above the actions. Isn't it possible then to put a switch in settings for the user to choose if they prefer notes after or before the actions?

Anyway, it isn't working the way it is, as even when we disable showing recent notes, the widget keeps showing the message that says the notes will appear there - and Apple being Apple for not accepting only actions... What's wrong with it???... Whatever...

I really think the OneNote widget makes more sense: you have the actions and if you tap "show more" you see more, which are the recent notes. I don't know, but it seems to me that the notes, being dynamic - that is, not being always the same - are a plus, are "more"; while the actions - which are constant - are what should always be there.

I'd be happy with a widget like that, but even though I'd agree it may be a little niche, I'd be even happier to have a shortcut for audio notes on the widget too.

Hi,

Here is a very crude mock-up of what the Home screen quick actions would look like with the widget actions at the top of the Widget:

2016-09-15_13-34-06.png

The OneNote widget hasn't been updated for iOS 10 yet - this is noticeable by the lack of Show More, Show Less OS-level widget controls in the top right corner.

We will be looking at further widget updates in the future, and I do appreciate the feedback.

Cheers,
Chuck

• Level 5
On September 21, 2016 at 10:09 PM, weaverh said:

Thanks, Chuck!  I'd love my top three shortcuts to appear in the widget.  

Thanks for the feedback, and great idea. I'll keep that in mind for future updates.

Cheers,
Chuck

On 9/21/2016 at 2:53 AM, cifip said:

Hi,

Thanks,
Chuck

Hello Chuck,

I have the 10.0.2 and followed your steps. Now notes are shown, but when I select a particular note I get a message "Unable to load Evernote" :-( 

Kremik

On 15/09/2016 at 8:48 PM, Evernote Dutchman said:

Great all the steps forward Evernote has taken with iOS 10. Congratulations!

For the next update I would appreciate using iMessage with Evernote, when the latter has been protected with the passcode lock. Right now iMessage sees the notes, yet cannot attach any.

Evernote-iMessage-iOS10.png

Try a reinstall, it has to be reinstalled for some apps.

On 9/13/2016 at 7:51 PM, Johurimam said:

Loving the new Evernote update! Way to embrace iOS 10 whole-heartedly. I have one suggestion regarding the widget. I think it is more important to have access to quick actions on the fly than to see a suggested note. I know you can see these actions when clicking "show more" but this puts three notes ahead of what I actually want access to and pushes the action buttons beneath the fold (on my set up).

Besides that, amazing work. Evernote just keeps getting better!

Great update!

I agree with this approach; and the notion that the notes are the "more", not the quick actions. More importantly for me, though, I don't find the suggested notes particularly helpful and wish I could set the terms for what's shown. Ideally, I'd like to select a particular tag for viewing and have the most recent three notes with that tag appear. Short of that though, I'd settle for the first three shortcuts from my customized home screen, if that's an easier way to set it up.

• Level 5
17 hours ago, rkapurple said:

Version 7.17 early feedback

iMessage app

-Very nice search functionality to choose a note

-Are there plans to make notes shared through iMessage deep link directly into the iOS client of the recipient if they have the Evernote app installed?  I imagine this would require an extra toggle for view/edit permissions before sending in iMessage, but being taken directly into the client to view notes would be a better experience for the recipient IMO.

Cheers
Rob

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback!

This is our first version of the iMessage app, and we'll be evaluating how people react to and use it. It's definitely on the radar to improve sharing options and to allow users to open the note in the main Evernote app. Timing is TBD.

Cheers,
Chuck

Loving the new Evernote update! Way to embrace iOS 10 whole-heartedly. I have one suggestion regarding the widget. I think it is more important to have access to quick actions on the fly than to see a suggested note. I know you can see these actions when clicking "show more" but this puts three notes ahead of what I actually want access to and pushes the action buttons beneath the fold (on my set up).

I don't know why, but the iOS 10 Evernote widget isn't displaying the correct contents for one of the three suggested notes: it looks like an earlier version. But if I tap on that note, I see the correct (current) contents.

How can this be?

You desperately need to improve the Apple Pencil usage on the iPad Pro.  It's ridiculous that it basically exits out of the app and then pastes your handwriting in.  Plus inability to insert images, files, etc right into the note and then write on it is terrible.  Please look at how OneNote works for note taking.  Unfortunately I'm left with just using Evernote as a repository and OneNote as my vehicle for taking notes and marking up documents during meetings.  I'll eventually have to migrate to OneNote completely if this isn't improved.

• Level 5*
On 2016-09-14 at 3:54 AM, jdriggs said:

Please look at how OneNote works for note taking.  Unfortunately I'm left with just using Evernote as a repository and OneNote as my vehicle for taking notes and marking up documents during meetings.

Then again, I see the benefit of Evernote using html as the format for their notes, but it does impose some limitations
I also switch to dedicated apps for serious work in Notetaking, Word Processing, Spreadsheets etc
I use the Notability app - when finished I export as a pdf to store in Evernote

How do I set up "Passcode Lock" on an iPad Air2?  "Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock" exists on my iPhone 6s+ but not on my iPad. I'm using Evernote 7.17.1.346642 and IOS 10 on both devices. No problem setting up my iPhone but I can't figure out how to do it on my iPad.  Thank you.

Great update, even though the widget doesn't display any recent notes for me.

Even if I appreciate the early integration of new iOS 10 features, one thing that desperately needs improvements is the share extension. I have never really used on iOS because it is so limited. Even basic apps like Apple's Notes are more advanced. 

Changes to make it usable in my opinion:

• Tag selection should be searchable 
  • Saving/clipping options as…
    • Full page
    • Link/bookmark
      • Take a look at the way Apple's Notes app does this, with rich previews
    • Article
      • Safari reader view for instance, even Mail app can do this
  • Ability to add links/bookmarks to existing notes
    • Apple Notes app can do this, other, like Drafts as well
    • Make that searchable, just like tag selection
  • Possibly integrating the reminder feature as well

Just a few basic things guys. Maybe I can switch back from the surprisingly more advanced Notes from Apple on iOS, if Evernote catches up with its share extension

I'm loving the iOS 10 update so far, but I cannot get the new Messages app to load. Whenever I try to load it in Messages, I get a blank page with the Evernote logo. When I tap it, nothing happens. I'm on an iPhone SE. I've already restarted my phone. I tried accessing the app with the main Evernote app open — that didn't work either. Is this an iOS 10 glitch or an Evernote one?

UPDATE: Deleting and re-downloading the app seems to have fixed the problem. Looks like an iOS glitch. Great work, Evernote team!

• Level 5
16 hours ago, Johurimam said:

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

That was actually our original design and intention, however it looked really silly when the widget actions appeared next to the same actions in the 3D Touch quick actions menu on the Home screen. So in order to make the widget more useful overall, we moved the actions to the bottom of the expanded widget.

Cheers,
Chuck

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, baten said:

How do I set up "Passcode Lock" on an iPad Air2?  "Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock" exists on my iPhone 6s+ but not on my iPad. I'm using Evernote 7.17.1.346642 and IOS 10 on both devices. No problem setting up my iPhone but I can't figure out how to do it on my iPad.  Thank you.

I'm seeing "Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock" on my iPad   IMG_1366.jpg

18 minutes ago, weaverh said:

It is not. I see blank space with message that my notes will be displayed there. I have to click on show more to view toolbar.

Before the update widget displayed quick actions, no additional taps were needed.

IMG_5317.jpg

11 hours ago, cifip said:

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

That was actually our original design and intention, however it looked really silly when the widget actions appeared next to the same actions in the 3D Touch quick actions menu on the Home screen. So in order to make the widget more useful overall, we moved the actions to the bottom of the expanded widget.

Cheers,
Chuck

Scroll down a bit further. Right after the calendar option

21 hours ago, theinspired615 said:

Hello, I have the same problem. I have the latest version. I don't want to delete the entire app, because then it takes ages to sync all back to the phone (with my Evernote account size). Thanks.

1 hour ago, Kremik said:

Hello, I have the same problem. I have the latest version. I don't want to delete the entire app, because then it takes ages to sync all back to the phone (with my Evernote account size). Thanks.

I bet Apple will release a patch for iOS 10 soon that might resolve this problem. My other Message apps also didn't work until I deleted and re-downloaded them.

On 9/13/2016 at 7:51 PM, Johurimam said:

I think it is more important to have access to quick actions on the fly than to see a suggested note. I know you can see these actions when clicking "show more" but this puts three notes ahead of what I actually want access to and pushes the action buttons beneath the fold (on my set up).

Totally agree! In fact, since I do not want to see any notes at all, I have turned off the Evernote setting "Show Notes in Widget". And with this update, all I see is an empty box saying "Recently viewed notes will appear here". (The same happens with 3D touch on the Evernote app icon -- a large box with the same message, above the actions.)

Please bring back the prior widget.

On 9/14/2016 at 9:26 AM, theinspired615 said:

Thanks.  I was having the same problem.  I had to delete the EN app and re-install it.  But it still didn't work.  So I restarted the phone and now it is working.  

On 9/14/2016 at 0:37 PM, cifip said:

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
Chuck

Hey Chuck,

Some of us don't have 3D Touch.  I'm sure it's pretty cool for the people who do.  For the rest of us though, having a slim quick action widget would be killer.  Right now it looks like this:

IMG_2510.PNG

For extra credit, bumping up those icon sizes would be pretty sweet.  Check out the Favorites widget for contacts.  Maybe something like that.  Just a thought.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a limit to how slim you can make it.  Still removing that text if you're not showing notes would be pretty cool.

Just reporting that I'm experiencing issues with the iMessage app as well.  It is installed and enabled, but nothing happens when it is clicked.  I've tried deleting it and restarting my phone, but the issue remains.  I use an iPhone 6.

Archived